Manifesto Of The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
OUR MANIFESTO’S GUIDING PRINCIPLES WE of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of Nigeria, conscious of our historic mission to build a modern democratic state, founded on Justice, Equity and Fair play.
Realising the need to: – Make fundamental break with past mistakes in order to realise the optimum potentials of the country. – Build a qualitatively better society based on the principles of democracy, human rights and social justice under the rule of law. Committed to: – Restructuring Nigeria in the spirit of true federalism and responsible tiers of government, so as to achieve a just and equitable society. – Resolving such fundamental issues as proper devolution of powers between the three tiers of government. Covenant as follows:
1. The indivisibility of the Nigerian polity We affirm our belief in the unity of Nigeria under the Federal System of Government. We shall, therefore, continuously promote political tolerance, accommodation and compromise, religious harmony, as well as inter-ethnic and intra-ethnic accommodation and co-operation. The Party shall also promote geopolitical balancing as a fundamental principle of power sharing in the country, in line with the principle of federal character. The Party shall uphold the principle of power rotation in our polity at all levels.
2. Supremacy Of The Constitution We affirm our belief in the supremacy of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the sovereignty of the Nigerian nation and its people. We hereby affirm our commitment to strict observance and enforcement of the provisions. As a political party, we shall conform to the spirit and the letter of the provisions of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the constitution of the Peoples Democratic Party.
3. Independence Of The Judiciary And Operation Of The Rule Of Law We affirm our belief in the supremacy of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the sovereignty of the Nigerian nation and its people. We hereby affirm our commitment to strict observance and enforcement of the provisions. As a political party, we shall conform to the spirit and the letter of the provisions of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the constitution of the Peoples Democratic Party.
4. Sanctity of Human Dignity We affirm belief in respect of fundamental human rights, as enshrined in the Nigerian Constitution and International Protocols and Conventions. We are against all forms of discrimination on the basis of gender, religion, place of origin, or ethnicity, race, beliefs, etc. The PDP will strive to protect the rights of vulnerable groups in society, including women, children, senior citizens, physically- challenged and minorities. Directive Principles WE shall remain strongly committed to:
i. Democracy and good governance.
ii. Freedom, human rights and human dignity.
iii. Justice, equity, popular participation, inclusiveness and the rule of law.
iv. Integrity, transparency and accountability in the conduct of public affairs.
v. Sustainable development through the creation of an enabling environment for private sector led economic development. Direction Of Policy And Measures
1. Political Objective The political objective of the Peoples Democratic Party is to:
i. Seek political power for the purpose of protecting the territorial integrity of Nigeria and promoting the security, safety, welfare, and well-being of all Nigerians.
ii. Promote and establish political stability in Nigeria and foster national unity and integration while safeguarding our culture and our values.
iii. Provide good governance that ensures probity and participatory democracy.
iv. Guarantee human rights and fundamental freedoms of all citizens and persons resident in Nigeria.
v. Promote and nurture democratic ideals and traditions on a sustainable basis.
vi. Provide the political environment that is conducive to economic growth and national development through private initiative and free enterprise.
vii. Offer equal opportunities to hold the highest political, military, bureaucratic and judicial offices in the country to all citizens, and protect, defend and safeguard the interests of all, including minorities.
2. Governance The party shall be committed to:
i. The principle of participatory democracy that lays emphasis on the welfare of our people.
ii. The principles of social justice and the equality of opportunities for all citizens.
iii. The promotion and defense of the Nigerian Federal System of government.
iv. The principles of accountability and transparency in order to restore confidence in the institutions of government, discipline and leadership by example as basis for public life and personal integrity as an important moral value in the conduct of public affairs.
v. Fostering the spirit of oneness among our people by treating all Nigerians fairly and equitably, regardless of their social, political or economic status; and
vi. The preservation of Nigeria as a multi-religious state whilst guaranteeing freedom of religion and good conscience.
3. Economy At the root of Nigeria’s political and social problems is poverty and low access to economic opportunities. The improvement in the well-being of Nigerians is the ultimate objective of the PDP’s economic policy, and make accessible to every Nigerian the basic needs of life.
The focus would be to create a market-based economy driven by small and medium scale businesses and regulated by a reformed public sector.
At the very foundation of the above objective of the party is the pursuit of a strong, virile and diversified economy built to stem rural urban migration through investment in modern agricultural methods. PDP’s economic policy is centered on people and seeks to realise the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), while aiming to: i. Develop a middle class driven by small business owners, professional class with access to credit. ii. Create easy access to transferable property rights in urban and rural areas. iii. Protect the weak and poor through initiatives designed to integrate them in the economy. iv. Improve investment in physical and social infrastructure.
The PDP aims, altogether, at establishing the leading economy in Africa and one of the 20 leading and largest economies in the World by 2020; an economy that experiences rapid and sustained growth of not less than 10% per annum. 4. The Judiciary And The Administration Of Justice The Party shall: i. At all times uphold and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. ii. Uphold the principles of separation of powers as enshrined in the Constitution. iii. Uphold the Independence of the Judiciary. iv. Ensure the security of lives and property of all Nigerians.
No Comments yet