The Friday review: The ins and outs of a fun weekend in Naija
The weekend is the perfect time to shake of the bad vibes of the week, and The Friday review is your guide on to how to make the most of your weekend while still keeping your pockets happy. Every weekend, try one or all of these things and find yourself falling in love with life again:
- Take a trip to somewhere nearby,
- Relax with a good film
- Indulge in great food or;
- Simply settle down at home to a much-anticipated book while you look forward to a good night of sleep.
First we start with a soundtrack; playlist this weekend should include:
- Benie Macaulay x Tomi Thomas– The Stars; If you are looking for an Afro-house song with a decidedly Nigerian base beat, this is the one. And even if you aren’t looking, you’ll be glad you found it. This tune is young, its vibrant and it’s unexpected. Just like Lagos.
- Saeon Moruda– Ninu Clubi; It’s nice to discover that in the ever-evolving Nigerian music scene, this Ibadan-born crooner has carved out a little niche for herself, and she calls it Trap ’n’ b. You should definitely give this song a listen because whatever you want to call it, it feels good and will get a party started.
- Wande Coal – Superwoman; strictly for the grown folk, this song is just right if you plan on spending your weekend in; cuddled up to someone near and dear to you. The thrilling vocal styling’s of Wande coal will have you in your feelings and incapable of resisting his allure. This one is for the Lovers.
*All these songs are also available for download on ITunes.
If on your journey to the ultimate weekend chill, you decide to take the cinematic route on the other hand, as it is a time-tested relaxation option, then you are in for a treat this weekend.
The latest offerings may just get your blood fired up about something other than a fuel queue.
- Batman vs Superman : Dawn of Justice; just the ticket for an intriguing yet action-packed film, whatever the critics say, it has certainly been a film to get tongues wagging so go see it for yourself and be the judge.
- Kungfu Panda 3: because no matter how stressful the week has been, there are few things better than a Panda who can can kick a**… and one of those things would be a whole village of Pandas.
- The Jungle Book: if you are not yet, you should be in full geek –fan-girl mode over the new Jungle book because any film re-make of Rudyard Kipling’s famous collection of stories, is worth geeking-out over.
- Eye In The Sky: any film starring Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman together must be worth seeing right? A thriller set to get your heart rate up with complete with political intrigue and international disputes of the implications of modern warfare.
All these films are showing in cinemas across the country at the moment, check your local cinema listings for exact timings.
And if crowded cinema halls on a weekend are not your thing, extend your weekend by making Monday your movie day, it gives you something to look forward to at the beginning of the week!
Finally try visiting a local Tourist spot for a (long) weekend getaway
- Obudu Mountain Ranch Resort: Nestled on the Obudu Plateau of the Sankwala Mountain range in Cross River, it is a beautiful escape from city life, to the simple Ranch Style living and hiking. Either book Chartered flight from Calabar Airport straight to the Obudu Air Strip, or travel by Bus (Private Hires available) 4 hours from Enugu or 6 hours from Calabar. The Experience of hidden rock pools by the Grotto, waterfalls and stunning mountain views make the trip worth it. There are frequent flights to Calabar from Lagos and Abuja, however the easiest way to enjoy the trip is to book Through a travel agency like Videnda travel or tripzapp and get a weekend package!
- Whispering Palms, Badagry: An ideal weekend getaway from Lagos but still close to home. Tucked in by the banks of the Lagoon in a shady grove of Whispering Palms; In this hide-away in the ancient city of Badagry you can learn more about the Slavery, and brush up on Yoruba Folklore, or grab a book and a drink while you lay in a hammock by the Lagoon. To Visit contact Whispering palms directly and they will be happy to receive you; Head over to Whispering Palms to get your holiday started!
- The Kajuru Castle: Making the list primarily because of the music video “Wish List “ by Leriq featuring Wande CoaI , this spot is on my bucket list. Located in the Kajuru village of Kaduna, Northern Nigeria, this medieval castle is a picturesque luxury villa, complete with the “Kajuru Dragons” (Alligators) in a moat surrounding the castle. Private day tours and stay-overs are available for a fee, but email email@example.com in advance to pre-arrange a visit.
My favorite way to spend the weekend though is to curl up in bed with a good book or series and a glass of wine! Whatever you decide to get up to enjoy it and cheers to the weekend until next time!
No Comments yet