The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter
News  |  Nigeria  |  National  

Army denies ‘mass killing of Igbo youths’

The Nigerian Army has refuted the ‘mass killing of Igbo youths’ allegation by the Campaign for Democracy (CD), an online publication, recently.

Col. Sagir Musa, the Deputy Director Army Public Relations of the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army, Enugu, in a statement in Awka on Sunday, described it as “an “unjustified, invidious and over flogged accusation’’.

He said the CD claimed that “no fewer than 2000 Igbo youths had been killed by the Nigerian Army under the guise of Rules of Engagement’’.

He said that other publication allegations including “Military Killed 150 Pro-Biafra Protesters’’ had also been severally thoroughly refuted in many media platforms by the Nigerian Army.

“It is the same position that this rejoinder has soundly adopted.

“For emphasis and clarity, the Nigerian Army as an accountable, morally and professionally sound organisation had variously through its Human Rights Desk at the Army Headquarters, painstakingly investigated allegations of rights violations.

“The results indicated specifically that this claim is false, malicious and should, therefore, be ignored for the sake of Nigeria.

“Instructively, the Nigerian Army under its constitutional authorization to aid Civil Authority and Military Aid to Civil Power must continue to act in the best interest of the nation (in collaboration with other security agencies).

“This included, de-escalating violence and checkmating security threats across the nation.

“This task must be done, in spite of the sordid propaganda and possible politicisation of the issue by ill-meaning Nigerians,’’ Musa said.

According to him, the relevant authorities in the South East are at liberty to set up an inquiry into the accusation to get to the roots and end of the obnoxious and unfounded claim.

“Looking at the recurrent posture of this allegation, the 82 Division Nigerian Army wishes to state that relevant authorities in the South East are at liberty to set up an inquiry into this accusation.

“This is with the view to getting to the roots and end of this obnoxious and unfounded claim,’’ he said.


In this article:
BiafraIgboNigerian Army


  • gogolagos

    it would have been better if the army deny of killing any Igbo.

  • Moon

    This Nigerian army has killed thousands of Igbo youths without any justification. The youths have been subjected with mass killings by Nigerian army simple because they are protesting for their fundamental human rights. I have never heard of anywhere in the world whereby a country army open fire with life ammunition to unarmed thousands of protests under guise of Rules of Engagement.

    How can any human being deny these arteriosus art committed by Nigeria Army? The evidence is overwhelming for anybody to see.

    The evil Nigerian army propagated against Igbo youths shall never go unpunished by these criminal elements that call Nigerian army. They are evil and represent evil leader..

  • Ezekiel Okeke

    How will they or has been defending so-called UNITY in the territory presently called Nigeria by force, without the consent of the natives and tribes? If not by cheap harassment killings. They should prepare not to deny anymore, because Buhari has told them to defend what he called ”indivisible” by force without the consent of the natives and tribes, because that is declaration of war, separation with war, as far as eastern region of Republic Of Biafra is concerned. International community have till January 20. 2017 for respect consent of Republic Of Biafra cordial separation.

You may also like