The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Medical experts decry poor conditions at IDPs camp in Edo

Related

IDPS

File Photo

A TEAM of medical experts, Doctors Health Initiative (DHI), weekend raised concern over the poor health condition of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), at the Edo State camp, saying over 80 percent of patients; mostly women and children lack adequate medical care.

Comprising mainly of health care specialists, DHI, while lamenting the poor state of health facilities at the Uhogua camp in Ovia North East Council during a three-day health outreach to the IDP’s camp in the state, said adequate food and medical supplies are critical to the sustainability of lives at the IDP’s camp.

President, of the group, Dr. Nkechi Asogwa, who led the medical team to donate food and medical supplies to the inmates, described the state of health of many, particularly women and children as deplorable. She added that the medical team has been providing medical care to about 80 percent of IDP’s patient within the facility.

Speaking on the situation in the camp, Asogwa lamented the malnourishment of the children examined and treated, saying they were obviously anemic, urging the government, religious bodies and well-meaning Nigerians to provide succour for the inmates.

The DHI boss said the free health outreach for IDP’s was organized by the DHI with support from Novo Health Africa, a health maintenance organization accredited by the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) with the objective to provide health care delivery solutions across Nigeria and internationally through collaborative partnerships.

“We have been particularly providing medical care for IDP’s, especially following the Boko-Haram attack on innocents young Nigerians,” she explained

“In this camp, the children and women have been lacking enough food. The children have little food to go round. We attended to a lot of patients, mostly women and children who are the majority of our patients. They have a large population, but we have attended to over 80 percent of patients, amongst whom are all women and children who are more vulnerable to health challenges while the other 20 percent are young men,” Asogwa said.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet