The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Suspect in Austin bombings has blown himself up

Related

Austin Police Chief Brian Manley(L), ATF Special Agent in Charge Fred Milanowski, and FBI Agent Christopher Combs brief reporters during a press conference on March 19, 2018, in Austin, Texas. Police and bomb experts are investigating a fourth mysterious bombing this month in the Texas state capital of Austin, a blast that injured two young men in their twenties. The explosion came just hours after police made a direct public appeal to the person or persons who carried out the previous bombings to come forward. So far, they have claimed the lives of two people and injured four others. / AFP PHOTO / SUZANNE CORDEIRO

A man being sought over the Austin parcel bombings blew himself up early Wednesday inside his car as police moved in to arrest him, police said.

“The suspect is deceased,” Austin police chief Brian Manley told a news conference.

Manley said the suspect is believed to be responsible for all five bomb explosions that have killed two and wounded several more and put people on edge in the Texas capital since March 2.

Police traced the man’s car to a hotel outside Austin.

As authorities waited for tactical teams to arrive, the man started to drive away. And as police moved to stop and arrest him the man detonated a bomb inside his car and was killed, Manley said.

The suspect’s motive is not known, he added. Manley said the suspect was a 24-year-old white man.


In this article:
AustinBrian ManleyTexas
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet