Moses, Success out of Nigeria World Cup qualifier
Nigeria have been dealt a major injury blow after Chelsea forward Victor Moses and Watford’s Isaac Success were ruled out of Sunday’s World Cup qualifier in Zambia.
Officials disclosed both players have withdrawn from the away game in Ndola after their English clubs reported they were injured.
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has replaced the players with two strikers from the domestic league – Godwin Obaje of Wikki Tourists and Chisom Egbuchulam from newly-crowned champions Enugu Rangers, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) announced Monday.
Moses, playing a new role as a wing-back, was man of the match for Chelsea in a 2-0 win at Hull City on Saturday, but he said his hamstrings will have to be assessed by his London club.
Success, 20, was set to honour his first Super Eagles call-up after he scored his first Premier League goal at the weekend at home against Bournemouth. But Watfdord said he had been withdrawn “as a precaution due to a knock”.