The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter
Sport  |  Tennis  

Troubled Kyrgios eyes more time off next year

By AFP   |   19 October 2016   |   11:00 am

 Nick Kyrgios of Australia sitting at the end of the court as he waits for the final game in his match against Denis Shapovalov of Canada during Day 1 of the Rogers Cup at the Aviva Centre.    Wayward tennis star Nick Kyrgios will seek psychological help to avoid an eight week ban ordered by the ATP for a tantrum at the Shanghai Masters, Tennis Australia said on October 17, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Vaughn  Ridley

Nick Kyrgios of Australia sitting at the end of the court as he waits for the final game in his match against Denis Shapovalov of Canada during Day 1 of the Rogers Cup at the Aviva Centre.<br />Wayward tennis star Nick Kyrgios will seek psychological help to avoid an eight week ban ordered by the ATP for a tantrum at the Shanghai Masters, Tennis Australia said on October 17, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Vaughn Ridley

Troubled Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has indicated he will play fewer tournaments in 2017 after his meltdown at the Shanghai Masters saw him slapped with an eight-week ban.

The world number 14, who gave away points and swore and argued with fans before being booed off court after his second-round defeat in China last week, blamed his body giving up physically and mentally.

It led to the ATP ordering a $25,000 (22,700 euros) fine and the ban, which can be reduced to three weeks if the 21-year-old sees a psychologist, which Tennis Australia said he had agreed to do.


In a question-and-answer session on Twitter Wednesday, the suspended star was asked what his goals were for next year. “More time off,” he replied.

He was also questioned on whether he enjoyed playing tennis, to which he answered: “lol”.

The Shanghai outburst was the latest incident involving the Australian. Last year he was given a suspended one-month ban for making comments to Swiss star Stan Wawrinka about his girlfriend.

If he goes through with his commitment to seek help for his temper, he could return to the tour on November 7, after the three-week ban.

But with no more tournaments to play then, his year is effectively over.

Asked on Twitter what his biggest win of the year was, he replied: “Just beat Ajla in a backhand to backhand game,” referring to his girlfriend, fellow tennis player Ajla Tomljanovic, despite claiming titles in Tokyo, Atlanta and Marseille.




  • Tosin

    I love this guy, want to see more of him. 🙂
    lol

You may also like