Jesus is God – Part 1
The Scriptures declare that Jesus is God. This is the foundation of the Christian faith and is of utmost importance for our salvation. Without Christ being divine, He could not have made atonement for the sins of the world. The deity of Jesus Christ is shown by the following:
(1) Divine names are given to Him in Scripture: (a) God (Jn 20:28; Is 9:6; Rom 9:5; Tit 2:13; Heb 1:8); (b) the Son of God (Jn 5:25; Mat 16:16-17; 8; 29; 27:40,43; Mark 14:61-62; Luke 22:70); (c) the first and the last (Rev 1:17; 2:8; 22:13); (d) the Alpha and the Omega (Rev 1:8; 22:13); (e) the beginning and the end (Rev 22:13; (f) the Holy One (Hos 11:9, Acts 3:14); (g) the Lord (Luke 2:11; Acts 4:33; 9:17; 16:31; (h) Lord of all and Lord of glory (Ps 24:8-10; Acts 10:36; 1 Cor 2:8).(2) Divine worship is given to Christ (John 5:23; 13:13; 20; 28; Mat 14:33; Luke 5:8), and prayers are addressed to Him (Acts 7:59; 1Cor 1:2; 2 Cor 12:8-9).(3) Divine offices are assigned to Christ: (a) creator of the universe (John 1:3; Col 1:16; Heb 1:8,10; Rev 3:14); (b) sustainer of all things (Col 1; 17; Heb 1:3); (c) forgiver of sins (Mark 2:5, 10; Luke 7:48-50); (d) bestower of resurrection life (John 5:28-29; 6:39-46; Acts 17:31; 2 Tim 4:1); (f) giver of salvation (John 5:24-26; 6:47; 10:28; 17:2)
(4) The NT sees Christ in OT statements about the Lord. Compare Ps 23:1 with John 10:11; Ps 102:24-27 with Heb 1:10-12; Is 8; 13-14 with 1 Pet 2; 7-8; Jer 17:10 with Rev 2:23; Ezek 34:11-12 with Luke 19:10.
(5) The name of Jesus Christ is associated with that of God the Father (Jn 14; 1, 23; Mat 28: 19; Rom 1:7; 2 Cor 13:14; Col 2:2; 1 Thes 3:11; Jas 1:1; Rev 5:13; 7:10).
(6) Christ’s sinlessness and holiness testify to His deity (Luke 1:35; 2Cor 5:21; Heb 4; 15).
(7) Christ was declared to be the Son of God by His resurrection (Mark 1:11; Rom 1:4).
These conclusive proofs of Christ’s deity mean that believers must act toward Christ in exactly the same manner they act towards God the Father. They must believe in Him, worship Him, pray to Him, serve Him and love Him.
Jesus Christ: An overview
Jesus Christ is the absolute fundamental to the Christian faith. As regards other religions, the names of their founders/originators are not essential to the teaching of their religions. Yet everything about Christianity rises or falls on the person of Jesus Christ. Liberal theologians have thought it possible to separate Christ from Christianity, by suggesting that Jesus’ teachings form the basis of the Christian faith. They want to assert that one may accept Christ’s teachings without coming to a decision about Christ Himself. To the contrary, biblical teaching affirms that a Christ-less Christianity is a contradiction of terms. Jesus Himself said: “The words that I speak to you are spirit and they are life” (Jn 6:63) He also said, “God is a Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth” (Jn 4:24).
Jesus is the Truth and the Life (Jn 14:6). Jesus is the Living Word; His teachings are the written Word. Jesus and His word are inseparable. Jesus is God and His teachings are the written word of God. This article seeks to summarise the biblical information on the uniqueness of Jesus. The names and titles applied to Him, His humanity, His deity, and His teaching and mighty works provide the framework for this discussion. Email:email@example.com yetundemercyolumidewww.christiscomingsoon.netMobile: +234 803 344 6614; +234 808 123 7987.