After 12 months out of football, Greenwood cleared of rape charges

Man United footballer, Mason Greenwood, has been cleared of attempted rape and assault charges, reports planetradio.co.uk.
(FILES) In this file photo taken on January 03, 2022 Manchester United's English striker Mason Greenwood is substituted during the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England. - Manchester United's Mason Greenwood will not return to training or playing "until further notice", the English Premier League giants said in a statement released on January 30, 2022, after a woman accused him of assault. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No video emulation. Social media in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No use in betting publications, games or single club/league/player publications. /

Manchester United’s English striker Mason Greenwood celebrates after scoring their sixth goal during the UEFA Europa League semi-final first leg football match between Manchester United and Roma at Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, northwest England. – Charges including attempted rape and assault against Greenwood have been dropped by prosecutors, British police said on February 2, 2023. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP)
Man United footballer, Mason Greenwood, has been cleared of attempted rape and assault charges, reports planetradio.co.uk.

Charges including attempted rape and assault against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been discontinued by the Crown Prosecution Service, the report said.

Greater Manchester Police said criminal proceedings against a 21-year-old man had been discontinued as of February 2.

Chief Superintendent, Michaela Kerr, GMP’s head of public protection, said: “Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.
“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.
“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.”

“I would, however, like to use this opportunity to reiterate GMP’s commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and supporting those affected, regardless of their circumstances, throughout what can be a hard and upsetting time for them.
“An ever increasing number of officers are receiving specialist training and the force is more consistently utilising tools, available via the criminal justice system, to keep people safe and care for victims.
“If you feel you are or might be a victim, please don’t let this case put you off asking for help.”

During the trial, the Manchester United forward was suspended by the club, with all his privileges withdrawn pending the determination of the case.

It is yet unknown whether Manchester United will reabsorb Greenwood into their team.
[ad]

[adinserter name="Side Widget Banner"] [adinserter name="Guardian_BusinessCategory_300x600"]
[adinserter name="Side Widget Banner"] [adinserter name="Guardian_BusinessCategory_300x600"]

More Stories On Guardian

Don't Miss