Buhari summons Abdulsalami, others over centenary project
DISTURBED over the controversy trailing the Centenary City Project, President Muhammadu Buhari has summoned the Governing Board of the Project, chaired by the former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar and his members to offer explanations on the planned city today.
The Permanent Secretary (General Services) of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, (SGF) Mohammed Bukar, disclosed this to State House correspondents, after he along five other permanent secretaries briefed the President at the Presidential Villa.
He said that Abdulasami ,the Chairman, Centenary Limited Board would come to brief the president on the activities of the centenary hall project today by noon, by then, they would lay to rest all issues arising from the execution of the project.
The project, which groundbreaking ceremony was performed on June 24 last year by the former President Goodluck Jonathan, is a purely private sector-driven initiative, but it has of late been turned into a subject of litigation between the former SGF, who spearheaded the initiative and a chieftain of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Chief Cairo Ojuogoh.
However, he reiterated the fact that no single kobo of the federal government was expended on the project as it was entirely a private affair.
He said,”The President left no one in doubt as to his total displeasure about stories he has been hearing about the civil service”. He said Buhari told the SGF staff to make sure that all rules, laws and the constitution are strictly adhered to henceforth.
“He has given a very strong warning that change has come and every public servant must sit up, be he or she a civil or public servant, a senior officer or low level office. So in that regard I think we are poised towards meeting up with the expectations of the President as directed,” he said