Celebrate Your Holiday With This Delicious Ram Dodo
This Sallah celebration has a lot of ram meat passed around and the ram dodo is a twist on the popular gizzard dodo dish. Here’s one way to spice up your Sallah meat:
*Recipe serves eight people.
- Ram meat, washed, cleaned and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 habanero pepper (ata rodo) or more depending on taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 large plum tomatoes
- 2 large ripe plantains
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 stock cube
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Marinate ram meat with garlic, thyme, curry, seasoning cubes, 1 chopped onion and salt for as long as possible (30 minutes to eight hours) for more flavour.
- Put marinated meat in a pot on medium-high heat, add a little water and cook for about 40 minutes until tender. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside.
- Dice the plantains into pieces similar to that of the meat.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat some vegetable oil and fry diced plantains until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- Using the same oil, fry ram meat for about seven minutes until tender and brown.
- Blend tomatoes, habanero pepper, scotch bonnet pepper and one onion.
- Put three cooking spoons of oil into a frying pan. Fry chopped onions and garlic for 30 seconds, then add the blended pepper and tomatoes and fry until the sour taste is gone
- Add the ram meat and fry, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped bell peppers, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the fried plantains last and stir properly to ensure the flavours “marry”. Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary
- Serve hot alone or as a side.