
There is growing tension among the residents of Calabar, the Cross Rivers State capital, particularly among the youths, over the last minute cancellation of the popular annual masquerade festival called Nkot Mbok, which was scheduled to hold last Saturday, January 25, 2025.
A few hours to the event, the Security Adviser to the Governor, Major General U.O Obono, (rtd), announced the suspension of the festival, citing security concerns.
Senator Asuquo Ekpenyong, representing Cross River South Senatorial District of the state, is the sponsor and Patron of the festival.
The Senator, who is the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), has become popular among his people, owing to the huge developmental strides he has attracted to his district, using the NDDC platform.
According to sources, this is not going down well with the state government, especially Governor Bassey Otu, who, allegedly perceived that the festival would add to the growing popularity and acceptance of the Senator from his people.
The letter from the Security Adviser to Governor Otu, read in part: “the attention of the office of the Security Adviser has been drawn to plans by some elements to perpetuate mayhem within the state under the guise of NKOT MBOK, without compliance with sections 1, 2, and 3 of the Masquerade (Control) Law of Cross River State and permit from relevant authorities.
“Consequently, the leaders and/organisers are warned to suspend the planned activity forthwith otherwise, they shall be made to face the full wrath of the law.
“Defaulters will be prosecuted!”. The letter was dated January 24, 2025, less that 24 hours to the event.
However, an official of the state government, who craved for anonymity, dismissed the claim, insisting that the state government received security reports that suggested that the event was likely to be hijacked by ‘some interested parties’ for other motives.
In response to the suspension of the event, Senator Ekpenyong informed the organisers that he would not be participating in the event and directed them to meet and engage the Security Adviser to clarify issues raised in the letter.
A letter to that effect was written by the Senior Legislative Aide (SLA) to the Senator, Ted Inyang, on the same day, January 24, 2025.
The letter reads, “it has come to the notice of Senator Asuquo Ekpenyong the invited Guest of Honour of 2025 Nkot Mbok event, that the State Security Adviser to the Governor has suspended the Nkot Mbok annual event scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday 25, 2025 as communicated in the letter signed by the SSA today, January 24, 2025.
“Consequently, he has informed the organisers of the Nkot Mbok Event that he will not be participating in the programme and that they should engage with the State Security Adviser to the Governor to clarify and resolve issues raised in the letter from the SSA.
“The general public is invited to please note”.
One of the members of the Planning Committee of the festival, who also spoke off camera, said the cancellation of the event was a huge economic and cultural loss to the state government.
“Preparations for the event had been completed. Costumes have been shared to all the participants. In short, everything regarding the festival was already concluded and everyone was looking forward to that Saturday. But around 8 pm on Friday, announcement was made to the effect that the festival has been suspended, owing to security concerns.
“This came as a rude shock to us all. This festival has been holding in the past 19 years, and it has never recorded any hitch. There has never been any violation of any such and this year’s own was not expected to be different. The Senator himself ad the Patron, had made adequate preparations for it. He had committed huge financial resources to it, had arrived with his friends and colleagues. But, this is where we are now”, the member said.
Insinuation is rife that the state government was not comfortable with the popularity of the Senator and was ready to stop him.
But the government official said that there was no other motive, apart from the security concerns, that made the governor cancel the festival.
It was also alleged that the camp of Governor Otu has made up its mind that Senator Ekpenyoung would never have a second term. They are determined with this, and they are going about unrelentingly with it.
“We reaching out. We are working on it, and we are determined about it that he will face a formidable challenge in his attempt at a second term. Just as he is reaching out, we are also doing. Let him go on with what he is doing, but he will meet us at the polls when the election comes in 2027”, one of the camps of the Governor said.
Supporters of Senator Ekpenyoung, however, all agreed that the governor was not pleased with the rising profile and popularity of the Senator.
“The Senator has used his office as the Chairman of the NDDC to attract projects to the state and to his zone in particular.”