The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

NFF Makes Mockery Of Nigerians Over Keshi’s Contract

Related

Keshi

Keshi

For the second time in two months, the highly publicized unveiling of a new coach for the Super Eagles failed to see the light of day yesterday.

The NFF Secretary General, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, had told Nigerians categorically earlier in the week that the new Eagles coach would emerge yesterday. But Friday has come and gone with the Super Eagles still without a coach. Angry journalists left the Abuja office of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) yesterday evening feeling that Nigerians had been taken for a ride.

Stephen Keshi, 53, a former captain and coach of the Super Eagles, was expected to sign a new contract to handle the team, which he failed to qualify for 2015 AFCON in Equatorial Guinea. Keshi had led the team to win the 2013 edition of the championship in South Africa.

However, the ceremony was a non-affair as only three members of the NFF executive showed up at its headquarters in Abuja yesterday.

Even though Keshi was said to be in a hotel close to the Wuse Zone 7 office of the federation waiting to be summoned, it seemed the NFF had no plans for him.

Federation president Amaju Pinnick, has traveled abroad to finalize a deal with a potential sportswear sponsor, while vice president, Seyi Akinwumi, was also not anywhere near Abuja.

“I’m in Lagos and the president is not in the country,” Akinwumi told Goal. “When we are unveiling we will let you know.”

Yesterday’s non-event tends to validate the rumour that the NFF is holding out for the change in government on May 29 before announcing a new coach, not Keshi, for the Super Eagles.

Some Nigerians are, however, worried that time is fast running out on the team, which will begin qualification campaign for the 2017 AFCON in June against Chad in Abuja.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet