Sport  |  Football  

Nigeria premier league suspended after player dies

By AFP |   10 March 2020   |   3:58 pm  

Nigeria’s football federation on Tuesday announced the indefinite suspension of the country’s premier league to ensure proper medical support is put in place following the death of a player during a match at the weekend.

Nasarawa United defender Chineme Martins, 22, collapsed and died during Sunday’s league clash against Katsina United at the Lafia Township Stadium in northern Nigeria.

Lack of proper medical support has been blamed for what the country’s sports minister described as “regrettable and avoidable” death.

The Nigeria Football Federation said it had “ordered for the onward suspension of league matches until there is medical equipment compliance at different league venues”.

Clubs have been directed to ensure there is a full complement of medical equipment and personnel at all match venues by March 14.

A date for the restart of the league was not mentioned.

The Nigerian league has long suffered from poor funding that has hit medical care for players.

Twenty-three rounds of matches have so far been played in the 20-team championship.

Plateau United lead the standings with 43 points from 23 matches.

In this article:

You may also like

1 hour ago
If you wonder who made Winmbledon's Last-16 in June, there's only one answer: Ons Jabeur, the first Arab woman to reach such a high-level achievement. Probably, we will hear about her more often. But for those who didn't follow the last Women's Tennis Association tournament or want to know more about Ons Jabeur and her…
50 mins ago
The English Premier League (EPL) has been home to some of the best players to ever cross the pitch. Few regions have contributed to that image more than Africa. Some incredible African players have left a lasting impression on the domestic game in England. Some of the biggest clubs have had African players play for…
25 mins ago
Steve Bruce has left his position as Newcastle manager by "mutual consent", 13 days after a Saudi-led takeover at St James' Park, the Premier League club announced on Wednesday. "Newcastle United can confirm that Steve Bruce has left his position as head coach by mutual consent," said a club statement. "He leaves the Magpies after…