Mixed vegetable egusi soup
Recipe for 4 servings
• 2 smoked catfish
• 1 kilogramme of lean beef
• 3 bunches of waterleaves (washed, shredded)
• 2 bunches of ugu (Pumpkin) leaves (washed, shredded)
• 2 small stockfish
• 3 cups of (melon) egusi (ground)
• 2 tablespoons of ground crayfish
• 1 onion (shredded)
• 4 red pepper (ground)
Wash, salt, season, and cook the beef, stockfish and fish until the meat is quite tender. Continue the boiling and add the palm oil, crayfish, pepper and the onions, boil for another three minutes. Stir and add the ground egusi, cover and simmer for two minutes, before adding the shredded waterleaves and ugu leaves. Stir thoroughly and simmer for two minutes. Remove from heat and serve alongside hot iyan, that is, pounded yam.
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day of the week. Stay informed with the Guardian’s leading coverage of Nigerian and world news, business, technology and sports.