Guide to playing roulette: Betting strategies in a live casino and online
Casino gaming has been around since the 17th century. But it’s seen significant evolution in recent years, thanks to technological advancements. The ongoing gambling legalisation has also contributed to the growth of this industry, which currently boasts a market size of over USD$260 billion.
Roulette is a classic casino game that has been enjoyed for centuries. With the advent of online casinos, it is now easier than ever to enjoy the thrill of the spinning wheel from the comfort of your own home. This guide will cover the basics of roulette gameplay, different betting strategies for both live and online casinos, bankroll management, and the challenges players may encounter in each setting.
An overview of online roulette
As we have covered before, one particular appeal for online roulette on websites like Stake.com is the live communal aspect. When music superstars like Drake bet millions of dollars during a live broadcast on Twitch, it is easy to see the appeal.
Since it’s one of the simplest casino games, newbies can start playing roulette a few minutes after watching the action. Nonetheless, it’s still important to understand the game’s mechanics before playing.
How to play roulette
The game involves spinning the wheel and dropping the ball on it. Players bet on where the small ball will land once the movement stops. Here are the basic steps:
- You place your bet by picking a specific combination of numbers.
- The dealer spins the wheel and drops the ball onto it in the opposite direction.
- The revolution will slow down, and the ball will eventually rest on one of the numbers.
- If your initial selection is correct, the dealer will pay out your winnings depending on the odds.
Although it’s all about luck, learning about the various types of bets can increase your chances of winning.
Types of bets
There are two main types of roulette bets, inside and outside chances. Although they share some of the rules, their betting odds are pretty different. Have a look:
These are bets placed on specific numbers or combinations of numbers within the interior of the betting table. They include:
- Straight up is a chance on a single number, with a payout of 35 to 1.
- Split, which involves betting on two adjacent numbers on the roulette table. Its payout is 17 to 1.
- Street is a bet on a row of three digits with a payout of 11 to 1.
- Corner involves betting on four numbers that meet at a corner on the table. It has a payout of 8 to 1.
- Six-line is a bet on two adjacent rows of three numbers, and the payout is 5 to 1.
These are bets placed on the outer portions of the betting table:
- Red/Black: You predict whether the ball will land on a black or red number (1/1).
- Even/Odd: This bet predicts whether the ball’s final position will be on an odd or even number (1/1).
- High/Low: You bet between high (19-36) and low (1-18) numbers (1/1).
- Dozens: This is a bet on whether the ball will land on a number in the first (1-12), second (13-24), or third (25-36) dozen (2/1).
- Columns: A bet on one of the three columns on the table (2/1).
As you can see, many outside bets are coin-flip bets with a 50/50 chance of winning.
It’s worth noting that the game has different variations, including European, American, and French.
The main difference between the three is the table layout. The American roulette wheel has 38 pockets, a 0, a 00, and numbers 1 to 36, one more than in the other two versions. The extra square gives the house a higher edge, which decreases your chances of winning.
European and French
European and French roulette wheels have the same layout with 37 squares (1 to 36 and a 0). As such, the house has a lower edge, and you have a better chance of winning than in American roulette. However, the French version has two additional rules, La Partage and En Prison.
- Speed Roulette: The dealer spins every 25 seconds, ideal for those who enjoy fast-paced gameplay.
- Double ball roulette: It uses two balls, giving you two chances to win on each spin.
- Immersive roulette: This variation uses multiple cameras to give you a close-up view of the ball and the wheel.
- Lightning Roulette: Introducing lightning strikes adds an exciting twist to this game. The strikes can multiply payouts by up to 500 times.
Challenges of roulette betting
Playing roulette isn’t consistently smooth sailing. You can face several challenges as a player in a live or online casino. Here is a brief look at some of these challenges:
Live casino challenges
- Dealer error
While dealers are trained professionals, they are still human and may make mistakes. Some errors you’ll likely encounter include inaccurate payout calculations and misplaced bets.
The best solution is to pay close attention to your bets and payouts. If you notice any errors, make sure you let the dealer know as soon as possible.
- Distractions from other players
The commotion in the casino can distract you. Noise from other players may also make it difficult to concentrate on the game.
To manage such problems, find a quiet or less-crowded spot in the casino. Relaxation techniques like deep breaths and meditation can help as well.
Online casino challenges
If you can’t manage distractions in a physical casino store, online platforms are your best option. However, this alternative also has its fair share of challenges.
- Connectivity issues
An unreliable internet connection may lead to frustrations due to difficulty placing bets. As a result, it may affect your overall gambling output.
The only solution is to invest in a strong internet connection. You can do this by subscribing to your area’s best internet service provider.
- Lack of physical cues
In a physical casino, players can observe the ball’s movement and the wheel to predict where the ball will land. But this isn’t possible in online roulette, where everything is virtual, and a random number generator determines the outcomes.
To maximise your online roulette experience, you’ll need to choose a reputable online casino. This way, you can reduce the risk of scamming and unfair number generation.
Overview of popular betting strategies
These strategies can be categorised into two, progressive and non-progressive.
Here are examples of the progressive approach.
- Martingale system: You double your bet to make huge profits after every loss.
- Fibonacci system: It’s a system where the following number is always the sum of two numbers preceding it (0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, and so on). After every loss, you move one step to the right of this sequence and two steps back after every win.
- D’Alembert system: You increase your bet by one unit and decrease by the same after every loss and win, respectively.
Non-progressive betting strategies include:
- Reverse Martingale involves doubling your bet after every win rather than every loss.
- Flat betting is where you bet the same amount regardless of the outcome.
- In Oscar’s Grind, you increase your bet by one unit after every win and maintain the stake value after every loss.
It’s worth noting that some of these betting strategies can be applied in some of the most popular casino games. You just have to know how to manage your wins and losses to avoid unnecessary frustrations.
Progressive betting is risky, as you can lose too much in one round, and that’s the most significant disadvantage. However, you can also recoup your losses and make huge profits within the shortest time possible.
On the other hand, non-progressive betting isn’t as riskier, which makes it ideal for beginners. But you won’t make as much profit as in progressive betting. Plus, it takes time to recover your losses.
How to enhance your success
If you’re still learning to win at roulette, starting at a free table is always a good idea. This way, you can gain the necessary acquaintance before placing real money.
Another essential factor you should remember is bankroll management. You must set and divide your budget before you start playing. Ensure you stick to this budget throughout the game and know when to stop.
This guide is a comprehensive resource for understanding the basics of roulette gameplay, different betting strategies for both live and online casinos, bankroll management, and the challenges players may encounter in each setting. By following the tips and strategies outlined in this guide, players can improve their chances of success and make informed decisions when playing roulette.