Faryab provincial governor said that so far not less than 130 Taliban rebels renounced violence and surrendered to the government in Afghanistan’s Northern Province of Farya.
Sayyed Anwar-Saadat, Faryab Province Governor, said on Monday in Jowzjan (Afghanistan), in a ceremony to welcome the former militants, that government would spare no efforts to help the former insurgents to rejoin their families and provide them jobs to have regular income.
“We sincerely welcome our 130 brothers who renounced violence, handed over their weapons and joined the peace and reconciliation process today.
Anwar-Saadat asserted that the surrendered militants were active in Khwaja Sabz Posh district of Faryab province over the past couple of years.
The governor also called upon other Taliban fighters to follow the step and give up fighting to rebuild the war-torn country.
Anwar-Saadat said the group had been active in Khwaja Sabz Poosh district in the province, 425 km northwest of Kabul.
“They also handed over dozens of rounds of weapons and ammunition to the security authorities at the ceremony.
The governor noted that more than 10,000 Taliban militants have laid down arms and joined the government-backed peace and reconciliation process over the past six years.
Taliban militants fighting the government have yet to make comments. (Xinhua/NAN)
No comments yet