‘895,000 UTME candidates already have their results’
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has confirmed that 895,000 of the candidates who sat for the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), already have their results.
The Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, disclosed this yesterday while monitoring the conduct of the examination in company of the Minister of State for Education, Prof. Mrs. Viola Onwuliri, in Abuja. According to the registrar, the candidates received their results via the Short Message Service (SMS) less than 24 hours after sitting for the examination.
For now, we have released 895,000 results, but it is not the same as collected by the kids. Some kids may not have gotten theirs because they gave us wrong information. On the inability of some candidates to access and printout of their UTME results online, Ojerinde stated: “Their results are released into their handsets; if you give me a wrong number, your result will go to a wrong handset, if you didn’t give me a correct one, you wouldn’t get anything. If you go to the net now, those who did the examination are already on the Internet; so let them go and check.” Ojerinde said although the examination started with some minor hitches, the board has been able to address all the concerns that were raised. “We are looking forward to the reduction in the number of days which the exam will take place depending on the available facilities.
I want to tell you that although we started with challenges on Tuesday last week, through the grace of God, we have solved all the challenges and things are moving very well, we have stabilized.
It is just about 11 days that we are going to do it this year, but next year, it will be less.” According to Ojerinde, President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the construction of Computer-based test centres in all the 774 local governments of the federation to help in the smooth conduct of the examination. “Mr. President is building more centres for us in all states of the federation, particularly in local governments and by next year, we hope these centres will be ready for use.”
Addressing journalist shortly after the exercise, the minister applauded the Computer-Based Test (CBT) initiative by the JAMB. “We envisaged that there will be challenges, but modalities have been put in place to ensure that these challenges are taken care of,” she said. Onwuliri stated that with time, other examination bodies in the country would also borrow a leave from JAMB over the use of computer -based test in the conduct of their exams.