The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter

Military confirms death of soldier, civilian in ambush by militants in Bayelsa

Related

Militants

The Joint Military Force deployed to the Niger Delta has confirmed the death of a soldier and a civilian staff during an ambush by militants in the creeks of Bayelsa State by suspected militants.

Spokesman of the Joint Force, Major Ibrahim Abdullahi, speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Yenagoa, yesterday, debunked earlier reports that four soldiers and a civilian died in the August 28attack on troops at Letugbene community in Ekeremor Council.

“This is to put to rest exaggerated speculations on an incident involving our troops and suspected militants on Monday, 28th August, around 200 hours near Letugbene community in Ekeremor Council.

“During the firefight, one gallant soldier and a civilian staff attached to the military houseboat paid the supreme price for defending fatherland, as against reports of four soldiers killed.

“A rescue team, supported by gunboats, was immediately dispatched to the area and they were able to locate and support two other soldiers who engaged the militants,” he said.

Abdullahi said a manhunt had been launched to fish out the perpetrators of the act, some of whom fled into neighbouring communities.

He said the ongoing operation was within the rules of military engagement, in line with best practices, assuring that innocent residents had nothing to fear.

“Operation Delta Safe, and indeed the Nigerian military, does not carry out reprisal attacks on innocent citizens, as alleged in some quarters.

“Members of the public, especially those resident in areas where operations are being conducted, are hereby advised to go about their normal lawful duties at this time of Sallah break and celebration,” he stated.



No Comments yet