The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter

Norovirus cases rise to nearly 200 at Winter Olympics

Related

South Korean soldiers inspect a visitor at a security checkpoint as they replace security guards showing symptoms of the norovirus at the Gangneung Ice Arena in Gangneung on February 6, 2018 ahead of the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games. According to officials at Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the PyeongChang Organizing Committee, three out of 41 guards who suffered from diarrhea and vomiting were diagnosed with having the norovirus on February 5. / AFP PHOTO / JUNG Yeon-Je

Norovirus cases at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics have risen to nearly 200, organisers said on Monday, despite an intense battle to contain the outbreak.

Seventeen new cases have taken the total to 194, although 147 of those affected have already been released from quarantine, they said.

About 1,200 security guards were quarantined and replaced by hundreds of soldiers when the highly contagious bug first came to light last week.

Officials say they are doing everything they can to stop more people getting the virus, which causes diarrhoea and vomiting and can be spread by contaminated food and water.

Any illness spreading to the competitors would be a major embarrassment to hosts South Korea.



No Comments yet