The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Two die in Borno, Adamawa explosions

Related

Borno State Commissioner of Police, Mr Damian Chukwu

The Borno State Police Command yesterday said tragedy was averted when a suicide bomber heading for the market mistakenly detonated an improvised explosive device (IED), killing himself alone.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quoted the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Damian Chukwu, as saying in a statement in Maiduguri that the incident occurred in the Monday Market general area over the weekend at about 7:20 p.m.

He said the late bomber was intending to kill the massive crowd with the IED strapped to his body.

His words: “The male suicide bomber sighted massive presence of police and other security deployments at Oando Filling Station near Post Office and hurriedly detonated the explosive, killing himself alone.

“More police personnel have been deployed to most parts of the capital and other flashpoints in the state.

“This is to ensure security of lives and property, especially in the remaining days of the Ramadan fast, as Eid-el-Fitr approaches.”

Chukwu added that the force’s Explosive Ordinance Device team was quickly deployed to sanitise and render the area safe.

In a related development, the Adamawa State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Ahmad Sajoh, has confirmed the dead of a boy with two others injured following an explosion in Mubi town.

He told NAN yesterday in Yola that the blast, suspected to be from an IED, occurred at a scrap materials gathering point along Kabang area of the town.

Sajoh said: “It is not a suicide attack as being speculated. It involved three children gathering scrapped metals.

“One of the boys, Saidu Ahmed, picked up the device which exploded immediately, killing him and injuring his two friends who are now receiving treatment at the Mubi General Hospital.

“Parents of the affected children have been identified.”

He sued for more vigilance by the public, stressing the need to caution children against picking strange objects to avoid a repeat of the incident.

Also confirming the incident, the spokesman for the state police command, SP Othman Abubakar, said the force was working on a theory that the explosive might have been given to the children by somebody to take to the metal gathering point.

The town had witnessed a twin blast by suspected suicide bombers last month resulting in the death of over 20 people.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet