11 Facts About Joseph Yobo On His 38th Birthday
On this day in 1980, Joseph Yobo was born. Fondly called “Yobo” by his fans, he is best remembered in Nigeria as the captain of the Super Eagles team of Nigeria, a position he held from to 2010 to 2014. Here are some quick facts about him:
1. The Rivers State indigene made his national debut in 2000.
2. The former defender is married to former Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria, Adaeze Yobo, and they have three children.
3. Yobo made his international debut in 2002 at the FIFA World Cup qualifier. His assist led to Nigeria’s only goal at the 2002 World Cup qualifier.
4. He had 101 international appearances for Nigeria spanning three World Cups and six Africa Cup of Nations. This feat makes him the joint most capped player in Nigeria’s history.
5. On the 30th of June, 2014, Yobo scored an own goal. The day coincided with his retirement from international football. He said, “I can look back on my career with great pride. I wanted to leave on a high for my country. Defeat by France was not the right way to go, but I’m happy with all I’ve done for the national team.”
6. Yobo’s club career started at Standard Liege, but the peak of his career was at Everton.
7. Yobo impressively played every minute of the 2006-2007 Premier League season for Everton.
8. He is the first African to captain Everton.
9. He retired from active football in 2016.
10. He runs the Joseph Yobo foundation, which was set up to help disadvantaged children. Over 300 children benefit from his scholarship.
11. He owns a football academy in Rivers State.
— Joseph Yobo (@jyobo234) 24 май 2016 г.