33 Things To Know About Wizkid As He Clocks 33
Nigerian entertainer and global star Wizkid celebrated his 33rd birthday a few days ago, and the social media world went agog as expected.
Wizkid, also known as Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, and global music sensation. Born on July 16, 1990, he gained fame in 2010 with his debut single “Holla at Your Boy” and has since become a prominent figure in the Afrobeat music genre.
Wizkid has collaborated with renowned international artists such as Drake and Beyoncé, and his infectious blend of Afrobeat, reggae, dancehall, and pop has captivated audiences worldwide.
He is the first Nigerian artist to win a Grammy Award and has been recognized as a pioneer of the Afrobeats movement. With his energetic stage presence and charismatic performances, Wizkid has amassed a massive fan base, making him a cultural icon and style influencer.
Below are 33 things to know about the musician;
1. Wizkid, whose real name is Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, is a Nigerian singer and songwriter.
2. He was born on July 16, 1990, in Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria.
3. Wizkid gained fame in 2010 with his debut single “Holla at Your Boy” from his debut studio album, “Superstar.”
4. He is often referred to as “Starboy,” which is the name of his record label and a popular nickname for him.
5. Wizkid started his music career at a young age, releasing his first album with a group called Glorious Five at the age of 11.
6. He gained international recognition with his collaboration on the song “One Dance” by Canadian rapper Drake, which topped the charts worldwide in 2016.
7. Wizkid’s music style is a fusion of Afrobeat, reggae, dancehall, and pop.
8. He has won numerous awards, including multiple BET Awards, MOBO Awards, MTV Africa Music Awards, and The Headies Awards.
9. In 2021, Wizkid became the first Nigerian artist to win a Grammy Award for his contribution to Beyoncé’s album “The Lion King: The Gift” on the song “Brown Skin Girl.”
10. He has collaborated with several international artists, including Drake, Beyoncé, Chris Brown, Future, Major Lazer, and Skepta.
11. Wizkid has released four studio albums: “Superstar” (2011), “Ayo” (2014), “Sounds from the Other Side” (2017), and “Made in Lagos” (2020).
12. His album “Made in Lagos” received critical acclaim and was praised for its fusion of Afrobeats with various international sounds.
13. Wizkid is known for his energetic stage performances and charismatic presence.
14. He has a massive fan base in Nigeria and globally, with fans often called “Wizkid FC” (Wizkid Football Club).
15. Wizkid has a significant influence on Nigerian and African music, and he has been instrumental in promoting Afrobeats globally.
16. He has been recognized as one of the pioneers of the “Afrobeats movement” alongside artists like Burna Boy and Davido.
17. Wizkid has an endorsement deal with the telecommunications company MTN Nigeria and has been associated with various brands like Pepsi and Nike.
18. In 2018, he performed at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, becoming the first Nigerian artist to do so.
19. Wizkid has his clothing line called “Starboy Merch,” featuring a range of apparel and accessories.
20. He has a close relationship with fellow Nigerian musician Tiwa Savage and they have collaborated on several songs.
21. Wizkid has a son named Boluwatife Balogun, who was born in 2010.
22. He has been praised for his philanthropic efforts, including his contributions to education and healthcare in Nigeria.
23. Wizkid has been listed on Forbes’ “Top 10 Richest/Bankable African Artists” several times.
24. He has a strong presence on social media, with millions of followers on platforms like Instagram and Twitter.
25. Wizkid has been featured on the cover of several international magazines, including Vogue and GQ.
26. He is known for his unique fashion sense and has been recognized as a style icon in Nigeria.
27. Wizkid has had successful tours in various countries, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and several African nations.
28. He has won the Best International Act category at the MOBO Awards multiple times.
29. Wizkid’s song “Ojuelegba” gained significant attention after British rapper Skepta and Canadian rapper Drake remixed it.
30. He has collaborated with Nigerian artists such as Olamide, Banky W, and Wande Coal on several hit songs.
31. Wizkid has a strong presence in the Nigerian music industry as a songwriter and has written songs for other artists.
32. He has received several nominations and awards at the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA).
33. Wizkid’s influence extends beyond music, as he is a cultural icon representing Nigerian and African talent on the global stage.
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day of the week. Stay informed with the Guardian’s leading coverage of Nigerian and world news, business, technology and sports.