Caring For Your Cotton Shirts 101
When it comes to wardrobe basics, cotton shirts are essential.
They are comfortable, timeless and incredibly versatile. With proper care, your cotton shirts will last for years. Here’s how to ensure their longevity.
1. Read the Care Label: Before you do anything, read the care label on your cotton shirt. It will tell you the specific washing instructions and whether or not the fabric should be dry cleaned. If possible, follow the instructions as closely as possible.
2. Wash Separately: To prevent your cotton shirts from being ruined by buttons, zippers and other items, it’s best to wash them separately. Place the shirt in a delicates bag or pillow case and turn it inside out before washing.
3. Use Cold Water: Hot water can cause shrinkage and damage to cotton fabric. When it comes to your cotton shirts, always wash them in cold water.
4. Use a Gentle Detergent: Choose a gentle detergent, such as one that is specifically designed for delicates. Avoid fabric softener and bleach, as these can damage the fabric.
5. Hang or Lay Flat to Dry: After washing, hang your cotton shirt up to dry or lay it flat on a towel. Never put cotton shirts in the dryer, as the heat can cause them to shrink.
6. Iron on Low Heat: After your cotton shirt has dried, it’s time to iron. Always use the lowest temperature setting and avoid ironing over buttons, as they may melt.
7. Store in a Dry Place: To ensure your cotton shirts stay in good condition, it’s best to store them in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing them in a damp area, as this can cause mold and mildew to form.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure your cotton shirts last for years to come. With proper care, they will remain timeless and incredibly versatile pieces in your wardrobe.