How To Wear White To A Wedding
Remember that one unspoken rule that plagues your mind when you have a wedding to attend and you think of a flirty white dress to impress? -Never wear white to a wedding. The most important thing any guest should focus on, even before choosing the dress’s colour, is not to upstage the bride.
According to bridal consultant LauraLee Baird, “Although many traditions are getting reinvented or excluded altogether, a constant is the bride is the only person at her wedding who is allowed to wear white”.
While brides have become more adventurous with coloured wedding dresses, wearing white as a guest is still a delicate space especially when it is not a stated colour theme for the day.
Although brides and the entire bridal scene is becoming less of a landmine for a white-dressed guest, there are still hits and misses with it. There are still safe ways to pull of white for a wedding without attracting dead stares.
- Avoid floor-length dresses: A knee-length dress in white can work for a wedding guest without sending off signals of upstaging the bride. The idea is to allow the bride alone to have the space to flaunt the dramatic or classy white floor-length dress without distractions.
- Choose dresses with distinct silhouettes: Avoid dresses or silhouettes that give off a bridal feel like soft lace and fabrics. Asymmetrical cuts are a quick way to give a modern touch to a white dress without taking centre stage with the bride.
- Prints on white and a pop of colour: Rather than having an all-encompassing white dress, choose a dress with print on a white base. Breaking the flow of white with a pop of colour also allows for a classy and still wedding guest ready attire. Monochrome also provides a sense of style and formality
- Wear trousers: Jumpsuits and playsuits have the luxury of appearing both stylish and ceremonious, with an added edge and slightly casual vibe. They are the perfect go-to outfit if your heart is set on wearing white.
- Don’t hold back on accessories: Lightening up a white dress with bold accessories in bold colours and styles makes wearing a plain white outfit more interesting to pull off.