Royal Family “Hurt” By Harry And Meghan’s Decision To Quit Royal Life
The Royal family is said to be be “hurt” and “deeply disappointed” by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to step down from their royal duties without consulting the Queen, the Prince of Wales or the Duke of Cambridge.
In a surprising statement on Wednesday night, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced plans to “step back” from their current roles.
It is understood that the couple did not consult the Queen about their decision to quit the royal life as talks about their future were still in the early stages. In a statement, Buckingham Palace responded that they understand Harry and Meghan’s desire to take a “different approach”, however, the couple’s decision creates complicated issues that would take time to resolve.
“Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.” Buckingham Palace said.
Harry and Meghan intend to split their time between the UK and North America and as well work to become financially independent. The pair plan to launch their own Sussex Royal charity, which they set up after splitting from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s foundation in June last year.
The announcement to quit the royal life comes months after the pair had opened up about the pressures of royal life and media scrutiny.
Harry had criticised the British tabloid press, accusing them of a “ruthless campaign” against his wife.
“I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.” The Duke said in an emotional statement released in October last year.