The Dos and Don’ts of Liquid Lipsticks
Liquid lipsticks are EVERYWHERE and they are becoming a fast favourite of many people. They are intensely pigmented, deliver a rich, long-wearing matte and have a formulation that goes on like a gloss and dries like a matte. Most of them are comfortable to wear, long-lasting, and kiss-proof. At first, wearing a liquid lipstick may be hard but with the few tips below, you’ll rocking a flawless matte lip in no time.
- Exfoliate: A smooth, flake-free canvas is necessary, so exfoliate your lips right before applying it. You can make a simple sugar scrub using some sugar and olive oil to naturally—and gently—exfoliate.
- Take your time: You can’t apply it in 2 seconds. You absolutely need patience so you can’t just do this in a hurry. Go too quickly, and you’ll end up with a wonky outline or globby finish that’s more likely to smear.
- Moisturize: Many liquid lipsticks are drying so you need to drink plenty water to moisturize your skin/lips. A great way to deal with the drying effect is to apply some chapstick on top of it if your lips are feeling a little too tight.
- Use too much: You don’t need a lot. Because liquid lipstick formulas tend to be so pigmented, one swipe is enough.
- Apply to dry lips: The colour will flake and separate on your lips and have you looking like a mess
- Rub: Avoid rubbing your lips together when applying matte lip color or everything will start to crumble and flake. Use a lip brush, in order to spread the product all over your lips evenly
Here are a couple of my favourite liquid lipsticks
- Taos Cosmetics Liquid Velvetine in ‘Gold Coast’
- Blot Beauty Luxe Lips Longlasting Lipgloss in ‘Pieces’
- Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick in ‘Vampira’
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in ‘Potion’