Thursday, 19th May 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

The Top 5 Most Poisonous Foods We Love To Eat

By Guardian Nigeria
08 January 2016   |   10:41 am
Our body needs energy, thus, we need to eat. Eating your daily meal is definitely part of your life. Food is essential to all of our being. Choosing a healthy food is the best way to maintain a healthy life. It is really hard to choose the right food to eat if you do not…

Our body needs energy, thus, we need to eat. Eating your daily meal is definitely part of your life. Food is essential to all of our being. Choosing a healthy food is the best way to maintain a healthy life. It is really hard to choose the right food to eat if you do not know the ones foods that are harmful to your health. It is quite hard to make you believe that most of your favorite fruits and vegetables contains poison in a smaller percentage. But excessive consumption may result in sickness or fatality. Here are the top ten most poisonous foods we love to eat.
5. Mushroom

Mushrooms are pictured, on October 20, 2012 in the Clairmarais' wood, northern France. AFP PHOTO PHILIPPE HUGUEN (Photo credit should read PHILIPPE HUGUEN/AFP/Getty Images)

Have you ever heard of toadstools? If you do, then you probably know that they are poisonous. Yes, they are poisonous and what you do not know is that they are the mushrooms that grows on you backyard. Toadstools is actually a slang word for “poisonous mushroom.” Not really all the mushrooms are poisonous, mushrooms can cause gastrointestinal discomfort.  Since mushrooms are fungi and the fact that there are so many species, it can be hard to know which are poisonous.

4. Cherries

Cherries_May31
Cherries are definitely one of the most versatile fruits. You can eat them raw, cook them, bake them, and get them tart or sweet. Cherries can even be used in certain types of liquor. Despite their overall red goodness, cherries are toxic. If you’ve ever eaten a cherry and without thought chewed on the pip or left it in your mouth, you more than likely introduced hydrogen cyanide into your body. If a cherry pip is chewed, crushed, or somehow damaged, it automatically produces hydrogen cyanide. Symptoms of mild poisoning include headache, dizziness, confusion, anxiety, and vomiting. Larger doses can lead to difficulty breathing, increased blood pressure and heart rate, and kidney failure. Reactions can include coma, convulsions, and death from respiratory arrest.

 

3. Apple

apple

Most fruits are included in the list of the top ten most poisonous foods that most people love to eat due to its cyanide content. Apple also do have a high cyanide content, But the seeds contain cyanide, so Just careful not to chew or swallow the seed of the apple.

2. Tomatoes

Growth tomatoes

How can you prepare your favorite dish without any tomatoes? Tomatoes have some interesting facts that will surely amaze you. Though the fruit itself doesn’t contain poison, the stem as well as the leaves contain a chemical known as glycoalkaloid. Higher levels are said to be found in wild tomatoes, but those grown domestically still contain glycoalkaloid. This chemical is known to cause upset stomachs and nervousness. The leaves and stem can be used in cooking for flavor, but must be removed before eating. This chemical is so powerful that it is actually used as a way to control pests.

1. Potatoes

generesponsi
Potatoes are the most poisonous foods that people love to eat. In fact, there are a lot of delicious food preparation that you can do with this ingredient. Preparing this food may not be very dangerous when you know which part of the plant you would include in your dish. All you need to make sure is to disregard its stem and leaves since these are the ones that contain the poisonous substance. The stem and leaves of the plant are toxic, and even the potato itself is toxic. If you’ve ever looked at a potato, you may have realized that some turn a greenish color. This is due to levels of glycoalkaloid poison. In the past, there have been deaths due to potato poisoning. It is rare, but most happen due to someone drinking potato leaf tea, or eating green potatoes. It usually results in weakness and then a coma.

 

In this article