Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp
x

Buhari celebrates release of abducted female students

Related

A group of girls previously kidnapped from their boarding school in northern Nigeria arrive on March 2, 2021 at the Government House in Gusau, Zamfara State upon their release. – All 279 girls kidnapped from their boarding school in northern Nigeria have been released and are on government premises.<br />Nigeria has been rocked by four mass abductions of students in less than three months, by criminal groups.<br />Gunmen from cattle rustling and kidnapping-for-ransom gangs on February 26, 2021 invaded the Government Girls Secondary School in remote Jangebe village, whisking the girls away from their hostel. (Photo by Aminu ABUBAKAR / AFP)


President Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, expressed joy over the release of abducted female students in Zamfara State. Reacting to the development, the President said: “I join the families and people of Zamfara State in welcoming and celebrating the release of these traumatised female students.”

President Buhari said he was excited that their ordeal came to a happy end, adding that “being held in captivity is an agonising experience not only for the victims but also their families and all of us.”

The President called for greater vigilance by the people so that human intelligence could be collected early enough to nip the bandits’ plans in the bud.

x

“The time has come to reverse, completely, the grim and heartbreaking incidents of kidnapping. Ransom payments will continue to prosper kidnapping,” he warned, while urging the police and the military to go after the kidnappers and bring them to justice.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) also rejoiced when news of the release of the abducted students was broken. The girls were kidnapped during a night attack on their school in the early hours of February 26.

In a statement, yesterday, UNICEF representative in Nigeria, Peter Hawkins, said: “We are relieved with the news of the reported released of over 200 students of the Government Girls’ Secondary School, Jangebe in Zamfara State, North-West Nigeria.”

Hawkins, who said UNICEF was vehemently looking forward to “their return to their families”, added: “Attacks on students and schools are not only reprehensible but a violation of the right of children to education. It is a right that any society can ill-afford to violate.”

He urged the government of Nigeria at all levels to protect schools in the country “so that children will not be fearful of going to school, and parents afraid of sending their children to school.”

x

Also, yesterday, President Buhari presided over a meeting of the National Security Council in the State House, Abuja. Specifically, the security parley which began at 9:00 GMT, took place inside the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa.

Also in attendance at the meeting are Vice President Yemi Osinbajo; Secretary to Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha and Chief of Staff to President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari.

Others are Ministers of Defence, Major General Bashir Magashi (rtd); Police Affairs, Maigari Dingyadi; Interior, Rauf Aregbesola as well as Chief of Defence Staff, Major General Lucky Irabor. The three service chiefs and Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu were also in attendance. The meeting expected to review the current security situation in the country, was still on at press time.

x


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet