Wednesday, 8th February 2023
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Corruption, an impediment national integration, says Zulum

By Joke Falaju, Abuja
09 December 2022   |   11:45 am
Borno state Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum, has stated that the endemic spate of corruption in the country is a major impediment to national integration.

Borno state Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum, has stated that the endemic spate of corruption in the country is a major impediment to national integration.

According to him, corruption fuels bad governance which is responsible for the current spate of insecurity, food insecurity, poverty and poor development.

He added that bad governance has left some territories, especially in the rural areas ungoverned, thereby creating room for some criminals to enforce their own governance system, such the Boko Haram insurgents in the country.

Zulum in a paper presentation on “Building Nigeria through National Integration’ at the 13th annual forum of Laurates of the Nigeria National Order of Merit (NNOM) award, yesterday in Abuja, stated that bad governance is a major impediment to national integration.

Zulum, who was represented by his Special Assistance on Intergovernmental Affairs, Ambassador Adamu Abass, stated that corruption is responsible for bad governance in the country, stressing that because corruption drains the resources that is needed to develop a society, “then you will have bad governance, as bad governance creates ungoverned spaces, especially in the local areas, making criminals take over by imposing their own governance system.

Adamu added: “One of the major causes of insecurity in Nigeria is the unbridled corruption in the governance system. Corruption conners more than 80 per cent of government resources and the remaining 20 per cent is not enough to pay for the high cost of governance in the country not to talk of development.”

He also identified ethnic diversity as one of the impediments to national integration, saying that “the mismanagement of national resources is what is making some people to become loyal to their own ethnic group.”

He highlighted other impediments to national integration including illiteracy, marginalization, and minority issues is the non-inclusion of some ethnic groups in the governance process at the three tiers of government

On the way forward, Ahmed stated that the snail speed of the integration process in itself causal factor fueling disintegration, saying that while the government has put in place various mechanisms to achieve national integration such as marginalization policy, NYSC, unity schools, language policies, federalism and federal character policy among others

He said that unfortunately, the policies were undermined by three major factors including, corruption in the governance system, poor implementation and the manipulation of the democratic process to serve the ruling class.

He stressed the need for the ruling class to commit to selfless leadership so as to nip corruption in the bud adding that there is a need for transparency and accountability in the governance system and stressed the need for government presence in every locality across the country.

Minister of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Senator George Akume, in his remarks stated that the theme for the year, “Building Nigeria through national integration’ demonstrate the need for establishing a non-rivalry, inclusive and patriotic nation, devoid of ethnic and religious sentiments, but united in their diversity.

The Chairman, Governing Board of the Nigeria National Merit Award (NNMA), Prof Shekarau Aku, in his welcome address urged everyone to recommit to appreciating the outstanding contributions of the Nigerian NationalMerit Award and its Laureates to national growth and development,
thereby reaffirming the commitment of the Governing Board towards generating the needed innovations for nurturing our fast-evolving democratic culture which will in turn lead to an enhanced and enviable state of the overall socio-economic, socio-political and scientific/technological advancement of the country.

In this article