Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Fayemi, Dangote move to reconcile Ganduje, Sanusi

Related

[FILES] Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State.


• No Deal Yet, Says Kano Gov’s Aide
• Emir Replies To Query
• Police Ban Rallies, Assemblies

Embattled Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, may soon heave sigh of relief, as Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State and Africa’s richest man, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, have moved to broker a peace deal between the monarch and Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State.

The last-minute intervention is coming after several efforts to reconcile the two gladiators failed. Ganduje had queried Sanusi over the N3.4 billion alleged misappropriated by him, and gave him less than 48 hours to respond. This was sequel to a preliminary report of investigation by Kano anti-graft agency, which indicted Sanusi.

During last week’s Sallah celebration, hoodlums caused commotion in Sanusi’s palace, leaving about four corpses in their trail. This made the governor to cancel the traditional durbar done annually by the emirate.

x

Spokesperson to the governor, Abba Anwar, confirmed that the Kano-born business mogul, Dangote, and the chairman of Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF), Dr. Fayemi, met Ganduje and Sanusi somewhere in Abuja.Although, Abba was not specific on the outcome of the peace talk, reactions or comments from any of the parties involved in the dialogue, there are strong indications that the emir may escape the governor’s wrath.

He denied earlier speculations that President Muhammadu Buhari was intervening in the matter. “Governor Abdullahi Ganduje exchanged Sallah pleasantries with the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, in Abuja last night. The two leaders met and congratulated each other for the successful completion of the month of Ramadan and the Sallah festive period.

“Emir Sanusi seized the opportunity to congratulate Ganduje for victory in his second term bid, wishing him a successful tenure in office from 2019 to 2023,” the chief press secretary stated.

The report nailing Sanusi read in part: “The Kano Emirate Council had spent over N1.4 billion in various expenditures believed to be fraudulent and un-appropriated.“In addition, the Emirate Council was alleged to have spent over N1.9 billion un-appropriated on seemingly personal expenditures.”

However, the Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to the Kano governor, Alhaji Abba Anwar, said that his principal and the monarch were yet to be reconciled. According to him, though a reconciliation meeting was held in Abuja on Friday, the matter has not been resolved.Apparently to water the ground for the expected truce, Emir Sanusi has responded to the query issued by Secretary to the State Government (SSG) of Kano over the misappropriation allegation.

A letter signed by the acting secretary to Kano Emirate Council, Abba Yusuf, denied any financial impropriety as alleged by Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission.The emirate council emphasised that the late Alhaji Ado Bayero left behind N1,893,378,927.38 in the emirate’s account and that Sanusi could not be found guilty of what he did not meet.

“You may wish to note that at the time His Highness Muhammadu Sanusi was appointed Sarkin Kano, the exact amount in the account of the Kano emirate council was N1,893,378,927.38.“It is also important to note that Emir Sanusi is not the accounting officer of the emirate council, but the secretary of the council,” the council stated yesterday.

Meanwhile, Kano Police Command has suspended all forms of rallies, assemblies and processions in the state.Accordingly, the command vowed to arrest, detain and prosecute persons and organisations, including civil society groups, that violate the order.

The command’s spokesman, DSP Abdullai Haruna, stated yesterday that the restriction became pertinent to avoid possible breakdown of law and order.

Youths had concluded plans to stage a mass rally to drum support for the embattled Emir of Kano.“Any person or group of persons found to engage in any unlawful assembly will be arrested and prosecuted in the court of law,” the police warned.Emir Sanusi, last year, insisted that monies spent on the renovation of the palace were part of overdraft from his First Bank account and support from friends. He denied unlawful spending from the emirate’s account.

x


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet