Ondo imposes curfew after election violence
Ondo State governor Rotimi Akeredolu Saturday evening declared an indefinite dusk-to-dawn curfew in Oba Akoko in Akoko Southwest Local Government area of Ondo state.
“The Ondo State Government has instituted a mandatory curfew in Oba Akoko until further notice,” said Akeredolu.
The governor announced the measure following an “heightened level of violence and aggressive attempts at disrupting the electoral process.”
Although only the state assembly election was held, the election has been marred with violence.
At least two persons were feared killed and another one critically injured when political thugs engaged security men in a gun duel in the community.
Sequel to the disturbance, three vehicles, including police van were vandalised by thugs just as a major beer depot was razed by irate youths.
Security men including soldiers were said to have repelled the attackers while officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission lay down as a safety measure.
The security men were said to have pursued the thugs into the town during which two of them were feared killed and another one critically injured.
The situation was said to have led to the lock down of the Ikare- Oba Akoko Road for several hours as security men mounted road blocks to arrest the attackers.
However, INEC officials said voting materials were intact as security men repelled the attackers.
It was gathered that no less than 20 persons had been arrested after the crisis.
The Police Area Commander for Ikare Akoko ACP Razak Rauf during the assessment of the situation described the vandalisation of police property as “barbaric”.
No comments yet