The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Police arrest two over killing of wine tapper in Delta, rescue abducted Warri monarch


ArrestedThe Delta State Police Command has arrested two suspects over the killing of Okorie Anyalokwu in Aligor/Alisematain community, Alisimie, Agbor in Ika South Local Government Council.

Anyalokwu, a petty trader and palm wine tapper was allegedly murdered last Monday by suspected Fulani herdsmen while returning from his farm.
The Divisional Police Officer, Agbor, Mr. Akintunde Oyenitan told journalists that two cattle rearers were being detained in connection with the murder, while investigation continued.

Okorie had left his house in the early hours of Monday and did not return home until his body, with gunshot wounds was discovered by a search party on his farmland.

His wife, Bridget Anyalokwu, said: “We discovered his body on the farmland with guns beside him. During our search, some cattle rearers were running away immediately they saw us.”

The residents said that in the past two weeks, two women (names withheld) were raped in their farmland around Alifikede community, where they also beat up a 63-year old man Johnbull Ekeh, who tried to prevent cattle rearers from grazing on his farmland.

Ekeh, a farmer, narrated: “I was attacked by the cattle rearers when I challenged them that their cattle were destroying my crops. They gave me serious beating until some farmers, who heard my shout came to my rescue.”

The Commissioner of Police, Mr. Zanna Ibrahim, confirmed the fresh attacks and disclosed that ten suspects were being detained for various offences. He said investigation was going on and they would be charged to court on completion of investigation.

The police commissioner also said it had rescued the Ovie of Agbarha-Warri Kingdom, Orhifi Orovwagbarha, who was abducted along Asaba-Warri road on Wednesday.

Ibrahim said the monarch was rescued in the early hours of Thursday by a team of 100 police operatives and 30 local vigilantes he personally led on a search the Ossissa forest, close to where the monarch was abducted.

“The Ovie was rescued by a police crack team personally led by me. His abductors were fleeing with him to a different location after our men had combed the entire bush in search for him.

“He was abducted by herdsmen. They are very conversant with the bush, even more than the indigenes. Our men sighted their movement and when we shot into the air they responded. In the exchange of gunfire they abandoned the monarch,” he said.

The police boss blamed the monarch’s driver for not reversing the vehicle when he sighted the hoodlums dispossessing other vehicles ahead of them. We have learnt our lessons from the kidnap. We need to be alert at all times,” he advised.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet