The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Why APC boycotted Bayelsa council poll, by Angbare

Related

(Photo by PIUS UTOMI EKPEI / AFP)

Ex-REC joins guber race, debunks sack reports
Bayelsa State governorship aspirant, Mr. Ebitimi Angbare, has explained why the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) boycotted the recent council poll in the state.

Angbare, who spoke to reporters after picking the N22.5 million nomination and expression of interest forms at the APC national secretariat in Abuja, claimed that the decision to boycott the poll was borne out of the realisation that the exercise would not be credible.

He alleged that members of the Bayelsa State Independent State Electoral Commission (BYSIEC) that handled the exercise were card-carrying members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the party controlling the state.

The governorship hopeful promised, if elected, to ensure a level-playing ground for candidates of elective positions at the local council level, irrespective of party affiliation.

x

He accused the PDP-led administration in the state of running Bayelsa as a private business.

Said he: “This will be my third time of trying to be governor of Bayelsa State and I am sure that God will make it happen. I am in this race because it is time for Bayelsa to join the league of progressive states. Bayelsa has no business remaining in PDP.”

Meanwhile, the former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of Cross River State, Frankland Briyai, who resigned his appointment with the Independent National Commission (INEC) last week, has joined the Bayelsa gubernatorial race.

Briyai, who was at the APC office in Yenagoa to inform party executives of his intention, used the opportunity to debunk stories that he was sacked by INEC.

The former air force officer and lecturer told newsmen in Yenagoa yesterday that the story of his sack was handiwork of mischief-makers who were bent on tarnishing his reputation.

He said, “I officially and legally resigned my appointment, and INEC can attest to that.

“I have contacted INEC headquarters and they said the news about my sack was fake. INEC said that they didn’t say anything like that. I am sure that if you have watched, or maybe read INEC’s publications or press statements, you will not find anything like sack, because I resigned officially on August 8.

“My departure created a vacuum, and INEC’s tradition is that once there’s no REC, the administrative secretary takes over. That was what INEC meant; INEC did not mean that I was sacked. Please don’t misquote INEC.”


In this article:
APCBYSIECEbitimi Angbare
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet