Homemade Chicken Shawarma Recipe
Ever wondered how to make chicken shawarma from the comfort of your own home? Here’s how. Be warned though, this recipe is deliciously addictive and will make you crave this shawarma everyday.
- Chicken breasts (de-boned or boneless)
- Chicken thighs/laps (de-boned or boneless)
- Shawarma bread (pita bread or tortilla wraps)
- Small cabbage
- Medium sized carrots (grated or cut into thin strips)
- 1 large cucumber (cut into thin strips and circles)
- 2 big tomatoes (cut into thin strips)
- 1 medium sized onion (cut into thin strips)
- Vegetable or olive oil (for frying)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large chicken seasoning cube
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt and chilli pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
- Lemon Juice (optional)
- Foil paper
- Cut the chicken into thin strips, place in a bowl, mix in the marinade properly with the chicken. Cover and leave to marinate for a while (2 hours to a day) depending on the amount of time you have.
- In a pan, heat two table spoons of oil, add the marinated chicken and stir fry until golden brown. Set aside and leave it to rest.
- Get your flat bread and place on foil paper on a clean, flat surface. You can double the bread if you want.
- Mix ketchup and mayonnaise together. Spread on the bread.
- Lay over the vegetables over the bread. Spread the chicken on top. (Feel free to slide a cooked sausage in there if you please).
- Spread extra mayonnaise and ketchup on top and sprinkle on a little dry pepper.
- Roll the wrap gently.
- Once rolled, wrap with the foil paper.
- Place the wrap in the oven or sandwich maker and let it grill for 5 minutes, or place the wrap in a dry frying pan and let it heat up for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
You can substitute the chicken for beef to make a beef shawarma, or mix both chicken and beef depending on your taste.