6 Amazing Health Benefits of Avocados
Avocado is one of the most unique fruits.
The popularity of the avocado is down to its rich, creamy, velvety texture and mild flavour. It belongs to the family of Lauraceae; a group that also includes members such as cinnamon and laurel.
There are dozens of varieties of avocado ranging in size, colour and texture. For those who aren't conversant with the properties of this fruit, here are 6 of its surprising health benefits:
1. Avocado is highly nutritious, rich in vitamin K, folate and vitamin C.
2. Avocados have more potassium than bananas, offering 14% of the recommended daily allowance. 3. 77% of an avocado's calories come from heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids.
4. Avocados are loaded with fiber, with a 3.5-ounce serving contains 27% of the recommended daily allowance.
5. Avocados can lower LDL cholesterol by up to 22%.
6. The green fleshy fruits are also full of lutein and zeaxanthin, powerful antioxidants that protect your eyes.
The medical information provided in this article is provided as an information resource only. This information does not create any patient-physician relationship and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.