How To Make Tasty Yam Pottage
Yam pottage/Yam porridge locally known as[ Asaro] in Yoruba part of Nigerian is a delicious meal usually made with yam and palm oil.
Yam pottage is soft and it tastes so good with the combination of ingredients.
Below are the methods and ingredients to be used for yam pottage /yam porridge [Asoro].
- 1 medium-size Yam
- 1 ½ spoon, palm oil
- 2 ½ cups, water
- 1 bulb, Onion
- Blended mix of scotch bonnet pepper, tomatoes, ¼ onion
- Smoked mackerel
- Seasoning and salt to taste
- Vegetable (Ugwu or scent leaf) (Optional)
- Peel and cut the Yam into chunks size and rinse. Set aside.
- In a heated pot, add your palm oil, heat for 1minute then add your chopped onions. Fry until slightly brown.
- Add your blended mixture of scotch bonnet pepper, tomatoes, and onions.
- While cooking, add your seasoning cube, crayfish, and salt. Stir together. Allow to cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add water.
- Pour in the chunks yams, add your smoked mackerel and stir together. Cover to cook still the yam is soft to your satisfaction.
- Lastly, add your vegetable. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes
- Your meal is ready!