Recipe: How To Make Apple Pie
Apple pie is a traditional dessert made of a pastry crust filled with sliced apples, sugar, and spices such as cinnamon. The crust is usually made with flour, butter, and water, and can be either a traditional pastry crust or a crumbly streusel topping. To make apple pie, you can follow these basic steps.
To make apple pie, you will need the following ingredients:
- Pastry for double-crust pie (store-bought or homemade)
- 6-8 cups thinly sliced and peeled tart apples (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Roll out half of the pastry dough and fit it into a 9-inch pie dish.
In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Toss to mix well.
3. Pour the apple mixture into the pastry-lined pie dish. Dot with butter.
4. Roll out the remaining pastry dough and place it over the filling. Crimp the edges to seal the pie.
5. Cut a few slits at the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
6. Sprinkle the top of the pie with flour.
7. Bake the pie on the lower rack of the preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
8. If desired, brush the top of the pie with heavy cream to give it a glossy finish.
9. Allow the pie to cool before serving.
Note: You can also add extra ingredients like raisins or nuts to the filling. Feel free to experiment and customize the recipe to your liking.
Make the pastry crust by mixing flour, butter, and water until it forms a dough. Roll out the dough and place it in a pie dish.
Peel, core, and slice the apples, and toss them with sugar and spices.
Place the apple mixture in the pie dish on top of the crust.
Roll out another piece of dough for the top crust and place it over the apples. Press the edges of the top and bottom crusts together to seal the pie.
Make slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape and brush the top with an egg wash (beaten egg and milk)
Bake the pie in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Let the pie cool before serving.
This is a basic recipe and you can add or change the ingredients to your taste, you can serve it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.