Salted Caramel Iced Coffee
Salted caramel iced coffee is a delicious beverage that combines the flavours of sweet and salty with the richness of coffee. Here’s a simple recipe you can try at home:
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1/4 cup water
• 3/4 cup heavy cream
• 3 tablespoon (Tbsp) butter
• 1/2 teaspoon (Tsp) fine sea salt
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 5-6 cups of strong coffee
1. To make the salted caramel, add the granulated sugar and water to a heavy-bottomed saucepot. Place the pot over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved and it begins to boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and allow the sugar to boil, without stirring, until it turns a deep amber color (about 7-10 minutes).
2. Once the sugar turns deep amber, remove it from the heat immediately, as it can go from caramelised to burned rather quickly. Whisk in the heavy cream until smooth (if the caramelized sugar clumps from the cold cream, simply return the pot to very low heat and whisk until it has dissolved). Whisk in the butter, salt and vanilla extract.
3. Allow the caramel to cool (it will thicken considerably as it cools). This batch of caramel makes about 10 ounces and can stay refrigerated for up to three weeks.
4. Fill a separate serving glass with ice (if desired, drizzle more caramel inside the glass first). Pour the coffee and caramel mixture over the ice.
Serve immediately, or add a splash of milk or cream, and a small pinch of sea salt.