Monday, 26th September 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Cholera kills 10 in Gombe

By Mansur Aramide, Gombe
23 September 2022   |   4:04 am
The Gombe State government confirmed that about 10 people have died from cholera outbreak in the state.

The Gombe State government confirmed that about 10 people have died from cholera outbreak in the state.

The state said 236 cases were recorded between June and September 2022, saying: “This year, from June 30, 2022, we have had sporadic cases of cholera in Balanga Council, and because of preparedness and prompt response, it has been largely subdued without escalation.”

The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Habu Dahiru, disclosed this to newsmen yesterday.

In a text, read on his behalf by the state’s Executive Secretary, Gombe State Primary Healthcare Development Agency, Dr. Abdulrahman Shuaibu, number of deaths recorded in Balanga, Yemaltu-Deba, Nafada, Funakaye and Gombe councils is 10.

He said: “Increasing cases of heavy downpours and resultant flooding in parts of the state have resulted in cholera outbreaks in eight wards.”

Consequently, the state Ministry of Health promptly initiated public health actions for its prevention, which included: Incident Management System, 13 Cholera Treatment Units, across the five affected councils, for management of cases free of charge, as well as direct house-to-house sensitisation and distribution of water treatment tablets in affected communities.

The state also went on to decontaminate affected wells and boreholes, as well as activated surveillance of all councils.

Shuaibu, however, urged residents to imbibe the culture of cleanliness and hygiene to prevent further spread of the disease.

Recalled that the state recorded three deaths from cholera last year when 2,373 cases were recorded.

In this article