Turkish footballer detained over links to coup plot
Turkish authorities on Friday detained international footballer Bekir Irtegun on suspicion of links to the group blamed for the July 15, 2016 failed coup aimed at ousting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Irtegun, who played for six years for Fenerbahce before joining Istanbul rivals Basaksehir in 2015, was detained as part of the investigation into the group of US-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gulen, the state-run Anadolu news agency said.
Turkey accuses Gulen of masterminding the coup bid from the United States and leading a group Ankara calls the Fethullah Terror Group (FETO). Gulen denies the charges.
Irtegun’s passport was confiscated when he tried to leave the country two weeks ago and Basaksehir have already annulled their contract with the player, Anadolu said.
The defender, 33, has appeared ten times for the Turkish national side.
The Hurriyet daily said he is accused of downloading and sending messages through the Bylock messaging app which authorities suspect was used by Gulen’s supporters to coordinate the coup plot.
Over 50,000 people are being held under arrest in the wake of the coup, in a crackdown that has caused international controversy.
The crackdown has also touched football with the authorities issuing an arrest warrant for former star footballer Hakan Sukur who played a key role in Turkey’s glorious run to third place in the 2002 World Cup.
Sukur, also a former a stalwart for Galatasaray, is now based in the United States.
Authorities last year also arrested former football star Ismail Demiriz, who played for Galatasaray from 1984-1993 as well as 27 times for the Turkish national side. He was released in February.
No comments yet