Sowore’s ‘Tinubu Criminal’ post posed public safety risk, DSS tells court

Human rights activist Omoyele Sowore, and President Tinubu, Photo grid

The criminal defamation and cybercrime trial of politician and online publisher Omoyele Sowore opened on Thursday at the Federal High Court, with the Department of State Services (DSS) calling its first witness.

Cyril Nosike, a DSS official, told the court that Sowore’s post on X and Facebook, in which he described President Bola Tinubu as a “criminal,” generated tension and posed a threat to public safety. Sowore is being prosecuted under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment Act, 2024, for allegedly making false claims against the President.

Nosike, stationed at the DSS Cyber Space Monitoring Centre, explained that his duties include 24-hour monitoring of online platforms.

On 26 August 2025, he said, he detected the post by Sowore and downloaded the associated video, which was marked XYZ and saved on a flash drive.

The video, played in court, showed President Tinubu discussing his administration’s achievements and encouraging Brazilian investors to consider Nigeria, stating that corruption had been addressed.

During proceedings, Justice Mohammed Umar reprimanded Sowore for using his mobile phone while court was in session. Sowore initially refused to surrender the phone to a court official but was allowed to hand it personally to his lawyer, who placed it on the court table.

The witness further explained that DSS documented reactions to Sowore’s post, noting that the responses were disparaging and had the potential to complicate security operations.

Nosike said the DSS wrote to X and Facebook to request removal of the post and also sent a confidential letter to Sowore via his lawyers, demanding a retraction. Sowore allegedly posted a screenshot of the letter on Facebook, which elicited further reactions.

In evidence, copies of the DSS letters and screenshots of public reactions were tendered and admitted. Nosike told the court, “Such inciting posts that generate tension make our work more difficult, and we take such issues very seriously.”

Sowore’s lawyer, Marshall Abubakar, requested time to study the witness’s testimony before cross-examination, a request granted by the judge, who adjourned proceedings to 27 January.

Earlier, Abubakar attempted to delay the trial, claiming that the prosecution had not served him with summaries of witness testimonies as previously ordered. When the court provided proof of service, he initially challenged its authenticity but later admitted receipt and apologised.

The trial is expected to continue with the cross-examination of the DSS witness next week.

Join Our Channels