Gunmen kill abducted Ondo youth, police make arrest

gunmen

The agrarian community of Isua Akoko, headquarters of Akoko South East Local Council Area of Ondo State, has been thrown into mourning following the abduction and killing of a popular youth, Mr Ojo Abbey.

Abbey, popularly known as ‘Obesere’, was allegedly kidnapped on February 22, 2026, while returning to Isua from Ibilo in Edo State. Residents said he was abducted by armed men suspected to be herders, who reportedly fled with him into the forest along the Ondo–Edo boundary.

A resident, Tunji, said the incident was reported to the police and that community youths, in collaboration with local hunters, organised search parties to comb surrounding bushes in an effort to rescue him.

However, his body was discovered at the weekend in a forest in Igara, Edo State. A source involved in the recovery said the remains had begun to decompose, suggesting that he may have been killed shortly after his abduction.

Reacting to the development, the Isua Youth Forum described the killing as a disturbing sign of rising insecurity in the area. In a statement issued by its National President, Comrade Abimbola Oluwafemi, the group called for urgent government intervention.

“We use this medium to call on the Governor of Ondo State, Gov Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa, for immediate intervention on this matter and the rising insecurity in Isua and Akoko South East at large. We also urge the Commissioner of Police in Ondo State and other security agencies to ensure a thorough, transparent and uncompromising investigation into this case.

“Every individual involved in this crime must be identified, apprehended and brought to book. Justice must not only be done but must be seen to be done,” the statement read.

Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Ondo State Command, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, said a suspect had been arrested in connection with the crime and was assisting with ongoing investigations.

He added that the Commissioner of Police, Mr Adebowale Lawal, had ordered intensified surveillance and strategic deployment of officers across the affected area and along the Ondo–Edo boundary to prevent further incidents and apprehend other suspects.

“The incident was reported at Isua Division at about 7:45 p.m. on February 22, 2026, by a resident, who stated that one Ojo Abbey was allegedly abducted by armed men suspected to be herdsmen while returning from Ibilo, Edo State.”

Join Our Channels