The leadership of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) has dismissed reports claiming it has submitted the name of its presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), describing the information as false and misleading.
In a statement issued on Monday and made available to journalists by the Special Adviser on Media to the party’s National Chairman, Mr. Lawal Ibrahim, the SDP said no process had yet been concluded for the emergence of its presidential candidate and, therefore, no name could have been forwarded to INEC.
The party also dismissed reports of a purported national convention allegedly held in Bauchi State where a candidate was said to have emerged, describing the gathering as illegal and orchestrated by “desperate politicians” seeking to create confusion within the party.
According to the statement, “The attention of our great party, the Social Democratic Party (SDP), has been drawn to misleading and fake reports suggesting that the party has submitted the name of its presidential candidate for the upcoming 2027 general elections to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) following a kangaroo national convention reportedly held in Bauchi State.
“This is a false and calculated attempt to mislead our party members nationwide and the general public.”
The party maintained that the Electoral Act 2026 clearly outlines the procedures for the emergence of candidates, stressing that no such process had been completed by the SDP.
The statement further affirmed that, based on INEC records and a judgment of the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division, Shehu Musa Gabam remains the authentic National Chairman of the party.
It added that Gabam was already putting in place the necessary structures for congresses and a national convention that would eventually produce the party’s presidential candidate for the 2027 elections under INEC supervision.
The SDP reiterated its commitment to democratic principles and credible electoral processes ahead of the next general elections.
The party also called on security agencies to investigate those allegedly behind the circulation of the report, accusing them of engaging in acts capable of causing political tension and public disorder.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover