******Says no terrorist base in South West
The Nigeria-US joint operations which began on May 17, 2026 have so far eliminated 175 Boko Haram/ISWAP fighters in the North East, the Defence Headquartres has confirmed.
The operations have also resulted in the elimination of several senior ISIS leaders, including Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, one of the most significant ISIS operatives in the world.
Al-Minuki played a central role in ISIS external operations, coordinating terrorist financing, recruitment, logistics and attack planning targeting Nigerians and innocent civilians around the world.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Director Defence Information (DDI), Maj-Gen. Samaila Uba, said Al-Minuki death severely disrupts ISIS command, operational coordination and external attack networks.
According to Uba, other terrorist figures eliminated include Abd-al Wahhab, ISWAP senior leader responsible for coordinating attacks and distributing propaganda, Abu Musa al-Mangawi, ISWAP senior member and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, ISWAP senior media production team manager and close confidant to al-Minuki.
“As of 19 May 2026, assessments indicate that 175 ISIS terrorists have been eliminated from the battlefield,” Uba said.
He said the joint strikes have further reinforced what the Armed Forces of Nigeria have consistently done over the years – hunt down and kill terrorists anywhere they are in Nigeria, assuring that the joint operations will continue to hunt down and destroy those who threaten the nation and regional stability.
Meanwhile, the DHQ has debunked media reports suggesting that terrorist elements have established a permanent operational base within the South West geo-political zone of Nigeria, particularly following the attack and kidnapped of school in Oyo State.
Gunmen had attacked the Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School, all in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, and abducted some pupils.
It described the incident an isolated criminal act that do not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park (OONP), effectively neutralising the operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor.
The Director Defence Media Operations (DMO), Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, said in a statement, “Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover