IBB: No coup succeeded in Nigeria without civilian support

Babangida

• Jonathan, PDP celebrate ex-military leader at 85

Former military president, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (IBB), says no successful military coup in Nigeria’s history occurred without the involvement or support of civilians.

Babangida, who turns 85 on Monday, spoke in an interview with Badeggi 90.1 FM in Minna, Niger State, as part of activities marking his birthday.

Babangida said wealthy civilians had historically played significant roles in supporting and sponsoring military takeovers.

The former military president also recounted the events surrounding the 1985 plot to topple his government and the subsequent execution of Mamman Vatsa, then Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Babangida said Vatsa, whom he described as a schoolmate and close associate, initially denied involvement in the plot. According to him, he initially found it difficult to believe allegations linking Vatsa to the plot because of their long-standing friendship.

“Initially, I found it difficult to believe reports linking Vatsa to a planned coup because of our long-standing friendship and shared history,” he said.

Babangida noted that he summoned Vatsa and Mohammed Gado Nasko to his office after a senior military officer informed him that the two had been mentioned in connection with the plot.

“When they arrived, I asked them about the reports that they had been mentioned in a plot to topple my government. Both of them denied any involvement,” he said.

He said a military commission of inquiry was subsequently established to investigate the allegations.

“While General Gado Nasko was cleared of any wrongdoing, the panel found evidence linking Vatsa to the coup plot,” Babangida said.

He said he was “shocked, devastated and deeply disappointed” when Vatsa’s alleged involvement was established.

“There was nothing I could do to exonerate him from the consequences prescribed by military law. My hands were tied.
That was how I lost my brother, General Mamman Vatsa,” he said.

MEANWHILE, former President Goodluck Jonathan has congratulated Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing his life as one marked by service, leadership and enduring contributions to Nigeria.

In a goodwill message issued to mark the ex-military president’s birthday, Jonathan, on behalf of his family, warmly felicitated Babangida and acknowledged his years of service in the military and public sector.

Jonathan said Babangida’s tenure as Head of State remains a significant part of Nigeria’s history, adding that his experience and wisdom continue to provide valuable lessons for current and future generations.

“This milestone is a testament to a life of service, leadership, and enduring contributions to the development of our great nation,” Jonathan said.

The former President prayed that God would grant Babangida continued good health, peace, strength and many more years of fulfilment in the company of his family and loved ones.

He also urged the former military president to use the milestone as an opportunity to reflect on his national service and the lives he had touched over the years.

ALSO, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under the leadership of its Interim National Chairman, Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, has congratulated former military Head of State on his 85th birthday.

In a birthday message yesterday in Abuja signed by Turaki, the PDP described Babangida as a distinguished Nigerian whose contributions to the country have earned him a place in Nigeria’s national history.

The party particularly commended the former military president for what it described as his broad-minded and detribalised approach to national affairs, noting his commitment to the unity of the country.

The PDP said Babangida’s 85th birthday offered an opportunity to reflect on his years of service to Nigeria and the impact of his contributions both in public office and in his personal engagements.

Join Our Channels

Taboola Recommendation Widget