Cement community chides Ikeja Electric over two months power outage
Residents of Ikuomola Street, Cement bus stop, along the Oshodi-Abeokuta Expressway, have raised concerns about the actions of officials of the Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) for causing power outage in the community.
*The Guardian *learned that for over two months, the affected residents have been running generators, just as businesses are shutting down.
Investigations revealed that in September 2018, a transformer supplying electricity to five buildings within the area was taken away by the DisCo
Prior to this period, a commercial retail store, Addide Stores opened its grocery store at 15 Ikuomola Street, but when the store was connected to the small transformer, the transformer tripped off. Affected houses, especially residents of 17 Ikumola Street, complained that being a commercial outlet, connecting them to the existing transformer may affect the transformer.
It was learnt that at the time, the Marketing Manager at Dopemu undertaking, ..Debo had just resumed and he also reasoned with the residents on loading the store to the transformer.
One of the residents, Ayo Olatunji, told *The Guardian *that some Technical staff members of the DisCo went ahead without the knowledge of the Marketing Manager, which eventually led to the damage of the transformer.
“Since then, these five buildings were placed on a stop-gap transformer. But since March 6, 2019, this transformer stopped working. We have been running generators, businesses are shutting down and babies and infants in the area have had to endure this endless agony. Some had taken their children to the hospital for heat-related illnesses.
“We have written several letters to them. The first was written to Dopemu Undertaking office, acknowledged by Ada, while the second letter was sent to Akowonjo business unit and received by the Customer care. Mails were sent to them and also Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) and no response.
“When a similar transformer in the neighbourhood got spoilt, N100,000 was offered to one Engr. Antia and another one was brought in. For ours, N300,000 is being demanded,” he said.
In one of their responses received by the complainants , dated April 17, 2019, it read: “Kindly be informed that your complaint regarding faulty transformer is currently being addressed and a follow-up has been initiated to expedite resolution.”Please be assured this will be treated with utmost priority and necessary action will be taken to ensure the complaint is resolved. We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you.”They are appealing to NERC, Minister of Works, Power, and Housing and other well-meaning individuals to prevail on the DisCo, to stop the injustice by restoring electricity supply to the affected area.
No comments yet