Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

EKSU students receive government’s relief after flood


Ekiti flood

• Others frown at relief package
It has been over a week since residents of Iworoko town in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, experienced flooding caused by heavy downpour between August 30 and 31.

Consequently, students of the Ekiti State University (EKSU), Ado-Ekiti, incurred losses as some of their items, which cost between N50, 000 to N70, 000 were destroyed.

Among other things destroyed by the rain are foodstuffs, school certificates and documents, electronic gadgets and other personal belongings.

Poor drainage systems in the area was said to be responsible for the flood, as well as dumping of refuse in flowing rivers by residents of the area, which in turn clogs the waterways.

Following this development, the state government earlier announced that provisions would be provided to the affected students and has since begun the distribution of mobile phones, laptops, foodstuffs and the sum of N10, 000 each to the affected students.


Surprisingly, some of the students have shown displeasure with the government’s gesture as they claimed that the N10, 000 allotment is meager compared to what they lost.

A student, Emmanuel Ossua, said the state government is making huge efforts to bring relief to the students, but he is not sure that the sum of N10, 000 will cover for all the losses.

“Foodstuffs, phones and electronic systems have been given to some of the students, including the sum of N10, 000. But the big question is would the amount of money shared, help the victims recover all that has been lost in the disaster?”

It was gathered that the flooding was dreadful and that lives would have been lost if students were not together at the time of the incident. One of the students, who pleaded anonymity, said, “The flood was so bad that it almost swept one girl away, if other students were not around at that time.”

Other students, who are impressed with the level of compliance from the office of the state government, commended the team for the numerous supplies provided to them.

A victim of the flood and Chairman of the Acadia Hall affirmed that a lot of affected students have received relief materials.

“The provisions are coming in fast. And at least 10 students in my hostel have received items from the government.”

The Welfare Director, Ekiti State University Students Union (EKSUSU), Aladedahunsi Emmanuel, said about 150 students lost their properties in the flood.

“The statistics show that 99.5 per cent of the casualties in the disaster have been relieved and that the remaining 0.5 per cent will be attended to as soon as more supplies are available.

In this article:
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet