Law Society seeks ‘conditional pass’ review for candidates

Law School

The Nigerian Law Society (NLS) has called on the Council of Legal Education (CLE) and the Nigerian Law School (NLS) to review the results of candidates graded “conditional pass” in the 2026 Resit Examination and grant them an unconditional pass where they have satisfied the applicable requirements.
  
The demand was contained in a letter dated August 15, 2026, addressed to the Chairman of the Council of Legal Education and the Director-General of the Nigerian Law School.
  
The society specifically named Mr Patrick Chijioke Okwaranoshie among the affected candidates, while urging the authorities to extend any remedial action to all other candidates similarly classified.
  
According to the NLS, the “conditional pass” grading system was abolished in or around 2020 following a review of the Nigerian Law School’s grading system, which reportedly introduced a system substantially based on cumulative performance.
  
The society said the reported abolition of the system had been publicly documented by legal and education publications, citing reports by DNL Legal & Style and EduCeleb on the introduction of the revised grading framework.
  
The NLS argued that the current application of the expression “conditional pass” to candidates who sat for the 2026 Resit Examination could therefore be inconsistent with the grading framework introduced after the reported abolition of the previous system.
  
It urged the CLE and the Nigerian Law School to urgently review the affected results and clarify the legal and administrative basis for the present use of the classification.
  
The society further requested that candidates who have otherwise met the applicable requirements for passing the examination be granted unconditional passes.
  
“The Nigerian Law Society considers this matter important not merely because of the immediate academic consequences for the affected candidates, but also because the grading of Nigerian Law School examinations has significant consequences for the professional future of law graduates and their eligibility to proceed towards Call to the Bar,” the letter stated.
  
The NLS consequently gave the Council and the Law School seven days from receipt of the letter to undertake the review and take what it described as corrective action.
  
It warned that failure to satisfactorily resolve the matter within the stipulated period would lead to an escalation to the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice for intervention.
  
The society said it expected the authorities to treat the issue with urgency and ensure fairness, consistency and transparency in the treatment of candidates affected by the 2026 Resit Examination.
  
The letter was signed by Ambassador Dahiru Aliyu, President of the Nigerian Law Society, and Dr Tonye Clinton Jaja, Executive Director.
  
Copies of the letter were also sent to several legal and public institutions and stakeholders, including the Federal Ministry of Justice, the Nigerian Bar Association Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, the Nigerian Association of Law Teachers, the Law Graduates Association of Nigeria, the National Assembly Service Commission, the Corporate Affairs Commission, the National Judicial Institute, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, the Chief Registrar of the Supreme Court and the Body of Benchers.
  
The development comes against the background of the high-stakes nature of Nigerian Law School examinations, which determine whether law graduates can proceed to the final stage of their professional training and eventual Call to the Nigerian Bar.

Join Our Channels

Taboola Recommendation Widget