Easy Steps To Make Sponge Cake
The softness and taste of the sponge cake is a delight to enjoy. With the festive season drawing close, cakes are a yummy idea to have on the food menu. The sponge cake is quite easy to make unlike some other types of cakes.
Did you know that the sponge cake is thought to be one of the first of the non-yeasted cakes, and the earliest attested sponge cake recipe in English is found in a book by the English poet- Gervase Markham?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serving: 2 people
● 6 eggs
● 1 cup granulated sugar
● 1/2 tsp baking powder
● 1 cup all-purpose flour
You can use an electric mixer or a turning stick for mixing the ingredients for the sponge cake.
1. Use an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to beat the 6 eggs for about 1 minute.
2. Add 1 cup sugar to the bowl of the electric mixer and continue beating the egg and sugar for about0 minutes until it becomes thick and fluffy.
3. Whisk together 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder then sift this mixture into fluffy egg mixture one third at a time.
4. Fold with a spatula with each addition just until incorporated. Scrape spatula from the bottom to catch any pockets of flour and stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain. Do not over-mix or you will deflate the batter.
5. Divide the mixture evenly between the cake pans.
6. Bake at 350˚F for 25 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden brown.
7. Remove from pan by sliding a thin spatula around the edges.
8. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature then you can slice the cake to eat.